We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From to QuebecCity

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
From to QuebecCity

Pondering a vacation to Quebec City next year. Our challenge is that we do not do well on the small regional jets that airlines use when flying into Quebec City. I've researched flights and regional jets are used regardless of if we're flying directly into Quebec City or flying into Montreal. I would love to find a major Canadian City that we can fly into on a large aircraft and then take a train to Quebec. Any suggestions?

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: From to QuebecCity

Sorry, that header should be "From Texas to Quebec City."

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From to QuebecCity

Montreal.

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: From to QuebecCity

We would have to take regional planes regardless of if we were flying into Montreal or Quebec City. That's why I'm trying to find a different major city.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From to QuebecCity

Why is that. I fly to the U S all the time and rarely is that on regional jets. Fly to Toronto and then into Montreal? Usually that would be a 757 or 737.

Then take the train to Quebec City

Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: From to QuebecCity

I'm not sure why. However, those are the flight patterns that the airlines are offering when flying from IAH. I will explore Toronto as an option. Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From to QuebecCity

I think what bogwoppit is pointing out is that air service between Toronto and Montreal is often by large jet, so if you could route your trip through Toronto, at least the second leg of the flight would be fine. Is that correct?

Anyway I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case from other cities as well. Montreal's is a major airport by any standard. I guess it's just a matter of finding a route with enough traffic that the airlines can fill a large jet.

You could also take a train from Toronto, but that would take all day, while a Montreal-Quebec train would only take a couple of hours.

Toronto and Montreal are Canada's largest cities, and the only cities in central Canada that are bigger than Quebec City itself, so they're probably your only good bets for bigger planes. If that fails, you could look at taking the train from NYC, though that's slightly farther from Quebec than Toronto is.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From to QuebecCity

Yes that is the case.

The OP's issue is that many US carriers route through US hubs from his location, and from there they use tiny regional jets.

By flying into Toronto the OP should be able to avoid the regional jets.

Do look at Air Canada as an option as they rarely fly regional jets from Toronto.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,667 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From to QuebecCity

Wow, Ottawa is bigger than Quebec City. So is Mississauga and Brampton. And laval can't be far behind.

Toronto
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,904 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From to QuebecCity

Sorry, you're right, Ottawa is also bigger than Quebec City. Mississauga and Brampton are within Toronto's census metropolitan area and served by the same airport (in fact the airport lies within Mississauga) so I don't count them separately for purposes of this discussion.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From to QuebecCity

I am really surprised that you cannot get big jets going to Montréal. When I worked on yachts I often flied from Montréal to many points in the US and beside direct flights to Florida I went to many other US cities, with stops or transfer NYC or Atlanta but always on large carriers.

Noiw: "... we do not do well on the small regional jets ... Well have you used them often? I am an absolute freak when traveling by air, a real phobia and I thought that the larger the carrier the better I would feel but finally it hasn't been the case. During the same career I often traveled on smaller jets or even propeller planes between San Juan and Sint Maarten and let me tell you that landing and taking off in Sint Maarten can be scary looking from a distance but I always felt even more comforatble on the smaller planes and take off and landings were soooo smooth.