We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cruise to Quebec

Gadsden, Al
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
cruise to Quebec

We will be arriving in Quebec early afternoon on Oct. 22 on a cruise ship and will be there overnight and leave the next day early evening. Times are not given to us.?? But that being said, I have looked at the things to do and they sound wonderful but not sure about time to do everything. What would you guys suggest to make the best use of my time. We do have the night to do whatever but does everything shut down early? Thanks for whatever info you have for us.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
62,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cruise to Quebec

I think you are on the Queen Mary 2 arriving 22nd at 12h00 and departing on the 23rd at 18h00.

Have you looked at the ship's port activities and excursions list and selected some of the things that you would like to do on your own? Because you could probably do at least some of those excursions separately from the more expensive ship's offerings. Now's the time to mention which ones interest you in order to get the advice on the logistics of what you have in mind,.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cruise to Quebec

Is that the Cunard Queen Mary 2? The trans-Atlantic ship? I hope to take that in a couple of years from England back to NYC but that is another post for another day.

Where you dock will be very close to the Old City, all within easy walking distance. The city thrives on the cruise ships at this time of year so much will be open. You have plenty of time to explore both Upper and Lower town, and have a wonderful lunch or dinner as well.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cruise to Quebec

Museums and churches wil probably close at 5. Museums are closed on Mondays.

I would suggest that you focus on the historical parts of Upper and Lower Town, see this link to my traveler article: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k5561…

Then the realy great thing about Québec City is just wandering around the historical parts, making stops here and there when you fancy it and enjoy the atmosphere. To learn a bit more about the "Société Distincte" of the Province of Québec and also about the City history I suggest that you actually visit both Musée de la Civilisation and Centre d'Interpretation de la Place Royale. Both are located in Lower Town just a short distance from each other and if you add the Centre to your Musée tickets it will be only $ 3 more for the combo. These attractions are also very close to the Maritime Terminal so you will be able to check at the ship early if allowed and then come back on shore to visit these places or just drop your luggage at the ship and visit.

Edited: 9:57 am, October 09, 2013
Gadsden, Al
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cruise to Quebec

Thank you, good advice. Also thanks for the def. times of arrival and departure!

Gadsden, Al
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cruise to Quebec

Thanks!, it is the Queen Mary 2 and it is the Autumn Colours cruise from N.Y and back. Looking forward to it.

Gadsden, Al
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cruise to Quebec

Thanks so much, I would love to do these things but do you think I have time to go see the Falls also? It seems I have a day and a half. What is a good option for the night, as I do not have to be back to ship early Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cruise to Quebec

Don't bother with the Falls. Although they are higher than Niagara Falls they are way less impressive. We do recommend the Falls either for return visitors or visitors that have 3 full days or longer in town. Due to it's size the QM might be too big to get very close the Falls after departure but usually ships head a bit in that direction before going to the main channel in the Saint-Lawrence River.

I must also warn you that the fall foliage colors will be completely over in Québec City and in the Charlevoix area north of the city. So don't expect too much. I am actually surprised that the QM market that late cruise as Autumn Colours. Way too late in the Province of Québec although you might hit colorful spots along the East coast. My esteemed colleague JDP will probably be able to give you some updates for the Boston and Acadia National Park areas.

8. Re: cruise to Quebec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, October 11, 2014