We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

My wife and I are traveling to Quebec City for 4 nights in early September. Which hotel do you recommend – Hotel 71, Hotel Le Germain-Dominion or Auberge Place d’Armes? We realize the first two are in Lower Town and the Auberge is in Upper Town.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

You can't go wrong with either of these. To me, location is a non issue as Lower and Upper Town both have their pros and cons, and access is very easy from one to the other one with the Funiculaire http://www.funiculaire-quebec.com/ (very short ride on the cable car) .

Lower Town hotels offer closer proximity to: the river, the Museum of Civilization, the Farmer Market and the lovely antiquaries neighbourhood and its restaurants & cute shops. If that matters to you, Lower Town will be a tad quieter, in terms of crowds,than Upper Town: September is bustling with cruise ship customers and they massively head to the area right next to Auberge Place d'Armes.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

I really think the opposite . In September many Quebecers don't go in lower town because it is where ships docks and at that time lower town is overcrowded. Two different point of view. In terms of hotels Eirelover is right: you can't go wrong with either of these.

Enjoy you stay in Quebec

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

I stayed in Auberge Place d'Armes and really enjoyed it. We had an upper room which was cozy and had lots of brick and stone giving it a nice old world charm. Also, I found to be exceptionally clean and the bathroom was modern. The rooms on the lower floors have bigger windows that will give you a better view than I had, but I did enjoy looking out my window and seeing the activity down below- artisans, people dining in nearby cafes, the holy trinity church, and an occasionaly muscian. I was very impressed with the breakfasts there to which were included with the room. Even though it is in upper town, it's quite close to the steps going down to lower town, so I think it's the best location. I walked by Hotel 71 a few times. It did look very nice. I assume it is more modern looking. You wont have much of a view, though I am not sure about the higher rooms though. The Auberge Place d'Armes does not have stairs, but they will carry your bags up. Check with the others if stairs are an issue.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

Yes, they 1st invade Lower Town next to the ferry, take pics of Château Frontenac from there and invade the poor little Petit-Champlain pedestrian street. Then they massively head to Upper Town. If I could get a dollar for every cruise ship tourist I ran into in Upper Town until October, I would be millionnaire :) But as far as I know, the antiquaries neighbourhood is relatively spared, as is the Farmer Market area, where the 2 Lower Town hotels mentioned in the OP are located.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,117 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

Hi Zebras23.

My first choice would be the Germain-Dominion. It is my favourite hotel in the world. It has it all - location, charm and excellent service. It's close to all kinds of restaurants, boutiques and so forth and it is quiet at night. I love this hotel. In saying that the others you mentioned are also very nice. As mentioned above you really can't go wrong with any of the hotels that you are thinking about.

Good luck!

Franklin...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

Wife and I just stayed at Le Manoir D'Auteil...room 8...highly recommend...across street from park...nestled away from all the hustle and bustle but, easy walking distance to any sight you wish to see...Upper, Lower or outside the walls.

7. Re: Recommendation for Hotel - 71, Le Germain or Auber Place?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 27, 2014