We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmond, OK
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Whale watching

Is it possible to see the whales without taking a boat?

Quebec city, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching

Well it isn't impossible but it's not sure that you'll see some. In Baie Ste-Catherine or Tadoussac the boats take you closer to where the whales would be that's why it would be harder for you to see some.

Quebec
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching

Not sure if you are staying in Quebec City or not.

You will not see whales in that area, you would need to drive East about 1 and half hours and then I would recommend a whale watching trip. Pretty affordable, you could make a couple of day trip out of it. (there are onl so many things to see in Old Quebec).

hope that helps

RRJ

www.inozo.com

Vermont
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching

Two summers ago I was in Tadoussac and spent an hour on the rocks in the city harbor watching many whales feed, so a boat tour is not absolutely necessary

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching

That is a very good question.

And to JC_VT....can you share any more information on where exactly you were when you saw the whales. I will be in Quebec City this summer and I am not a big fan of boats however on the other hand I have always had a huge interest in seeing whales.

Thank you in advance.

All the best.

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching

Definitely. We saw a huge number of beluga whales from shore at the Nature Center that is where the Saguenay River meets the St. Lawrence. The center is very close to where the ferry goes over to Taddousac. We were close enough to the whales to hear them blow and to see that there were babies with mothers.

We went past Taddousac up to Cap Bon De Sur (sp?) and saw a minke whale and some porpoises from the rocks within an hour of getting there. Be sure to take mosquito repellent for that location because there is standing water and a lot of mosquitos.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching

Hello Oboemom,

Thank you so much that is great information. I will definitely try your suggestion next month, I can't wait!!

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Donna

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching

oboemom : ''We went past Taddousac up to Cap Bon De Sur'' -- can you recall a bit more details, as to where exactly you have been to, I am trying to figure out the proper spelling for the others' benefit ?

Atlantic Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching

I think they meant "Cap de Bon-Désir" (love this name!) - past Tadoussac on route 138

pc.gc.ca/amnc-nmca/…natcul2_e.asp

Huntsville, AL
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching

Thanks for correcting the name (didn't have my notes with me when I wrote before). It was Cap de Bon-Désir. There is a lighthouse there and you sit out on a rocky outcropping. There were two naturalists helping identify what you saw. The water is supposed to be extremely deep there which is why you will see some of the other types of whales. Just don't forget mosquito repellent and some water to drink.

The observation place that is right before the ferry is called the Pointe Noire Observation center. You will see it on the right just before you get on the free ferry to Taddousac. It is worth paying the small entrance fee to go in because you can go right down to a dock by the water where you can observe very well. They also have telescopes and helpful naturalists.

To give you an idea of distances and times, we had stayed in La Malabie the night before, drove to the two observation areas where we spent a couple of hours each and then drove north along the fjord to Chicoutimi (including a stop for a short hike along the way) in one day.

I'm thinking it might take about 2-3 hours to get to Pointe Noire from Quebec City.

10. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 14, 2009