We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

We plan to take the train from Montreal to Quebec City and return the same day next Thursday. What are the must dos that we can realistically fit in in our 7 hours? We are fine with walking the whole time, or taking public transport if needed. It looks like our starting point will be the VIA station at 450 rue de la Gare du Palais. Also, would love some recommendations on places to eat during our day. We are open to anything. Thanks!

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,069 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

Hi SJunie,

Seven hours isn't a long time to be in Quebec City, but it will give you a chance at least to see a few things. I would suggest walking if the weather is good, this will give you the best opportunity to really get a feel for the city. From the station you can walk to the Rue de Petit Champlain (the oldest shopping district in North America). It is a very quaint street and worth a little time there and maybe even have lunch or brunch at one of the cafes.

Also seeing the Chateau Frontenac is a must. As mentioned here numerous times it is the most photographed hotel in the world. Many historical events took place at the Frontenac, celebrities and famous politicians have stayed there and there have even been movies filmed at the hotel. It is a great place for photo ops as well both inside and out.

The Fontaine de Tourny, an absolutely gorgeous fountain that is in front of the Parliament Building is also worth checking out. The fountain is relatively new to Quebec City, although it is not a new fountain, but a fountain that originates from the mid 1800's where it was in France on the Allées de Tourny in downtown Bordeaux.

If you are interested... below is a link to a few other suggestions I wrote about in an article from a few years ago.

tripadvisor.ca/GoListDetail-i14855-Perfect_D…

I hope you enjoy your day in Quebec City!

Edited: 12:14 pm, July 08, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

Did you check out "I would like to maximise my short visit to the city. Any MUST-SEEs ?" in the Top Questions, to the top right ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

I'd be sticking to the Old City for the most part...you get to check out the Chateau Frontenac, maybe see the Plains of Abraham, have a nice meal and that's about it in your short time....

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
121 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

Thank you, Northerndecorator for the helpful information and link. I really appreciate it. We are definitely looking forward to our day in Quebec City. Also, yes, I did look at the link for the must-sees, but it never hurts to see if there is any additional ideas out there-that's what's so great about the TA community.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

Have you already bought your train tickets? Otherwise the bus is excellent, has much more departures with one every hour from early morning to late evening. It also arrives at the same spot in Québec City, Gare du Palais.

Well you are not Américains so I will not give you my usual spiel on how good bus rides on this side of the border compared with the south side but Orléans Express has great service anyways and you could spend more than 12 hours in Québec City using the bus instead of the train if you want.

As for what to see I would suggest that you walk to Place Royale from the station, along Saint-Paul Street, the antiquarian area. Visit the Interpretation Center at Place Royale, Maison Chevalier and Petit Champlain nearby and also take the ferry to Lévis. Then you can take the funicular that will bring you in Upper Town intramuros and you can just walk around, stop at some places that interest you and just veer off on smaller streets, outside of the touristic hordes. By the way I see that there is still some misconceptions about what is Old Québec even if we have it covered in to Top Questions:

What is the difference between Upper and Lower Town? and

I am confused about the layout of the city, how does it work?

So just check the links on both.

Nutley, New Jersey
Level Contributor
314 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

There is a hop on/hop off trolley that will hit all the major spots. You can buy tickets at the Tourism building across the street from the Frontenac. Also, while I have stayed at the Frontenac, I would not spend time to go inside just for a look. It is a nice lobby but still just a hotel lobby. If there is time, go for a drink at their bar overlooking the river.

7. Re: 7 hours in Quebec City. Suggestions to maximize our time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 16, 2014