We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Yup!

Time for my yearly update on these two shows. Well in English it would be Image Mill by Ex Machina and Invisible Paths, fifth instalment «The Harbor of Lost Souls» by Cirque du Soleil.

So funding was provided to create free Cirque du Soleil shows in the summer for five years. This year (2013) the shows are moving to a new location down by the riverfront. The good news is the new venue will seat up to 4,000 people for evening performances which begin between 8.30 and 9.30 pm (it depends of the time darkness falls.). Another good news is that everybody will have a seat while in the past years it was stand up except for VIP tickets of which I have not heard this year. I have found updatings for this year only in French so I will not bother with links at the moment. Strangely nothing on Cirque's own website.

So completely new and new area.

Image Mill will also be all renewed this year and will pay a special tribute to Norman McLaren, the genius of animation cinema that spent so many years in Canada doing his incredible movies but I am not sure at all if this will please the usual vacationers. This will still be projected on the Bunge grain silos that are 600 meters long. The main viewing area is very large and you can see this show from other parts of town, just bring a radio with you to catch the music. So you can bring your own chairs or just stand up in the main area. There was a VIP section in the last years too but, again, no news about that yet.

Finally also new for this year, you will be able to attend both shows in the same evening and even catch up the fireworks later on on selected dates. Also note that the fireworks are not at Montmorency Falls anymore but set right in the middle of the Saint-Lawrence River, facing the historical parts of the City.

The unfortunate news is the at this may be the last summer for the free shows unless more funding is secured.

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

Went last night to the show and loved it!! We paid the $10.00 ticket fee to sit on cushioned bars stools but going for free would be fine too. It was utterly amazing.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

We went last Saturday (20 July); had dinner at Cafe du Monde, right next door, @ 6:45, then joined the not-too-bad queue around 8:30. We got great "seats" on the stone steps to the left of the main stationery stage, which proved to be perfect to get great views of all of the action, which takes place not only on stage, but up above you and out in the middle of the crowd in the standing-room-only section below the main stage. If you want to stand the whole time, you could be more immersed in parts of the performance, but we were really happy where we were to have an excellent perspective of all of the show. It was out-of-this world wonderful. We regret missing the first 4 years. Afterwards we wandered down to the riverfront to see the Image Mill, also an amazing presentation. Don't miss either incredible offering if you can help it.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

My good friend just got back from QC today and he told me he went to Cirque and Image Mill this past Tuesday (July 23rd). He told me he waited about 90 minutes in line for Cirque and said it was well worth the wait. The show, in his words, was amazing. The show was about 1 hour long.

He is also a huge fan of Norman McLaren and went to Image Mill afterward, however, he was a bit disappointed because there was not any sound to be heard from where he was sitting....unfortunately he didn't have a radio along. He still enjoyed it but not as much as Cirque du Soleil.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

I posted exactly the same message on a different forum a few minutes ago but I will post it here too.

Here's a little report of ours after watching the Cirque show on 24th July (free seats).

In fact, we went there the night before (23rd July) but made the mistake of arriving at the venue too late.

It was nearly 9pm by the time we got there (due to the dinner we had had prior to it). The venue was completely full and we couldn't get in. We managed to watch the show from outside by standing on top of a hill...

The following day, we were there by 7pm (for 915pm start of the show). There were only 4 other people already there waiting. By 730pm, more had arrived, and by 8pm, there was already quite a long queue. The door opened at about 845~9pm, and we took seats at one of the steps on the ground, sort of in the centre-right section if you are facing the stage. The show was spectacular, to say the least.

I understand that this is the last year of Cirque's 5 year free show commitment in Québec, so we were very lucky to be able to experience it this time....

15. Re: Cirque du Soleil and Moulin à Images (free shows) update

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 08, 2014