We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation options

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
transportation options

I will be staying in Quebec City in mid July for a week and I am looking at my transportation options. Most of the things we will do will be walking distance from our hotel, but we may want to make a few trips such as Ile d'Orleans and Monmorency Falls.

Option #1 is to rent a car at the airport and keep it parked in the city hall parking lot. However, I hate to pay for the car, all the taxes they pile on, and pay to park if I am only going to be using it a little. What else can I do? Can I walk to a bus that will take me to other locations? I followed the link from another post about bus schedules, but I cannot figure it out as it is only French.

rtcquebec.ca/NewCustomer/…Default.aspx

I will keep plugging away, I might be able to figure it out, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation options

How about getting a car for 1 day... THE day you wish to go around the city... and drop it at night to avoid paying parking?

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation options

I am sort of considering that. We would most likely have to plan on getting the car for a few days at the beginning since the rental places seem to be at the airport. Then we would have to take a taxi to the hotel and a taxi back to the airport when we leave.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation options

Where will you be staying ?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation options

The other option would be a tour. Tours Vieux Quebec offers a 4 hour tour including Ile d'Orleans, the falls, St. Anne de Beaupre, and a few other spots.. The draw back of course is that it doesn't give you time to linger longer, or see other sites, especially on the island, but you do seen them all. Toursvieuxquebec.com.

JDP

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation options

Québec has many car rental options outside the airport..

yellowpages.ca/search/…3Dsi

I have seen an Enterprise Rental... at the Delta...

enterpriserentacar.ca/car_rental/…

Check other companies...

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation options

Auberge Place d'Armes

24 Rue Saint-Anne

I am now thinking of skipping the car.

The lowest I could find a car rental using a really good discount code was $288 per week, taxes and fees brings this to $429. Adding in daily parking and tips if I valet make this seem not much worth it for as little as I will use the car.

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation options

JDP: I went to those places before, and I really enjoyed lingering at my own pace. I climbed the stairs to the top of the falls and I don't know if a tour group would be going that route or giving me that time. So, I may just try to find a bus that will drop me off.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation options

I know the bus question has come up before and I know one does go to the falls, I just don't know it. Perhaps Eirelover or another local does.

JDP

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
593 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation options

Maybe you would like communauto

http://www.communauto.com/index_ENG.html

there are different options, it is not very expensive and you can use it even if you are not from Canada

Quebec City
Level Contributor
619 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation options

The bus for the Falls is Metrobus #800. You can get on at the D'Youville stop close to Palace Royal hotel (make sure you're on the hotel side of the street, bus would need to show "Beauport" as its destination). It would be about a 35-40 minutes ride to the stop at the corner of avenue Royale/des Rapides. I think it's the last stop (Terminus Beauport), so it would be hard to miss. If the bus is not too crowded, you can also politely ask the driver to let you know when to get off for the falls, and sit close to the front so he could tell you.

This stop is at the top of the falls, by the way. As far as I know, there are no city buses that go to the bottom.