We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Awhile back, I read a post recommending something wonderful to eat /drink at the Frontenac but didn't keep it as I wasn't expecting to be going anytime soon. Well, now I am!

Any suggestions?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

I'm a little puzzled as I stay at the Chateau Frontenac quite often but can't th nk of a signature dish. They do have a wonderful high end restaurant, Le Champlain, with views overlooking the Terressa Dufferin and the St. Lawrence, and waiters in period costuimes. Service and food are excellant. Maybe, as I write this, you are thinki g about their Sunday brunch, that is the best in the city with all sorts of local specialties, meats, cheeses, fish, fresh fruits and vegtables. Another can't be missed moment is simply having a drink in their bar, Le. St. Laurant, again with wonderful views. If there is a signature drink there it is perhaps their martinis.

There are many reasons to go and stay there. Enjoy!!

JDP

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

I too have stayed there and cannot think of any particular signiture dish/drink either.

Perhaps the post you read was talking about consuming a great dish/drink but I don't think they meant that they had anything you'd call "signature".....just a great dinner.

If you want a great meal check out Le Continental Restaurant right across the street from the Frontenac. It's an old school place with excellent food and impeccable service which has become somewhat of an institution.

www.restaurantlecontinental.com/index.php…

tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g155033-d70…

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Their Singapore Sling cocktail in the ST Laurent bar is pretty awesome.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

I think you mentioned that before. i'm definitely going to have to try it!!

JDP

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

I "try" one every visit. They are fabulous every time.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Do they have more than one bar and if so, which would you recommend for a drink? Something atmospheric or with a view possibly.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

The St Laurent bar is the only one and it has views over the river and the Terrasse Dufferin. On warm days they have a lovely outdoor terrasse open and sitting watching the people go by with a few drinks is a wonderful way to pass the time. It is very atmospheric, lovely fire place, central wooden bar.

fairmont.com/frontenac-quebec/…

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Hello sjde.

Good news that you are able to visit Quebec City!

Like JDP mentioned in his post.. it could possibly be their brunch you are referring to.

Check out the below link to past postings regarding eating at the Frontenac and perhaps something will ring a bell. Good luck!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums?q=eating+at+the+Chateau+Frontenac&scope=2&sub-search=Search&ff=134&geo=155033&returnTo=__2F__

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

I think that the Bar Saint-Laurent has a very good reputation for their classic martinis. If I remember well they even bring you the overflow in a small carafe or the bottom part of the shaker. But I didn't have a martini at the Saint-Laurent for years since I switched to Gin & Tonic. I like a lot of tonic with a bit of dry gin and it is almost always wrong even if I give the bar person my exact specifications. Well they respected them perfectly at Le Saint-Laurent!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,876 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to have at the Frontenac Hotel?

Rick I love that they stock my favourite gin too. Hendricks that is.