We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City

CA
Level Contributor
94 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City

My husband and I are planning a trip to Quebec.

We have many questions even after reading the forums and many reviews. Which areas would be best for a hotel, we are mostly interested in the sights, shopping, etc., not outdoor activities.

Can you give us some reccomendations for a quiet luxury hotel that is "not" kid friendly as we are seniors and would like a very relaxing vacation.

We will be traveling from Jamestown NY to Montreal than to Quebec and probably flying home to California out of Quebec Should we keep our rental car for transportation in the cities and travel between or should we use other transportation?

We will have 2 weeks and can travel June or July, or the first 2 weeks in August. What would be the best time as far as crowds and weather? We are very appreciative of any help you can give us.

Northern California
Level Contributor
22 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Quebec City

I have just tuned into this discussion and I wonder if it's too late to ask a question?! All the hotel info is very much appreciated. One hotel that I had identified as not as expensive as say, the Auberge Saint-Antoine which some friends of ours were crazy about, but in the same very convenient neighborhood is the Hotel Le Priori which I don't see anyone mentioning. TripAdvisor reviews are terrific. We would be in QC for 5 days in mid-September. Comment? Thank you.

whitestone, ny
Destination Expert
for Quebec City
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Quebec City

…nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

I would also vote in favor of Auberge Place d'Armes a museum that is now an inn.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Quebec City

nurealam

It has a very good reputation and the location is pristine. Out of 164 reviews on Booking.com, the average note is 9,1 out of 10. It is 4,5 out of 5 on TA and 4,6 out of 5 on Expedia.

http://tinyurl.com/k5f3ze5

http://tinyurl.com/mqekgdy

Edited: 7:30 pm, July 07, 2013
Northern California
Level Contributor
22 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Quebec City

Thank you whitestoneny (I grew up in Astoria, btw) and Eirelover (many of whose postings I have read).

Much appreciated.

qc
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Quebec City

Hi, I live here in QC and I can't think of a better place to visit. As our holidays are almost over, we took a day yesterday just to walk through the old town, Place Champlain, Place Royale, and to visit Ile d'Orleans (in St. Petronille, there is a great spot to stroll down along the St Lawrence; look for the painter Horatio Walker's home). I were you, I'd keep the car as it allows you to have your own schedule. As for places to stay, I've also had friends put up at the St. Pierre near the Musee de la Civilisation and they were delighted.

qc
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Quebec City

Hi, I live here in QC and I can't think of a better place to visit. As our holidays are almost over, we took a day yesterday just to walk through the old town, Place Champlain, Place Royale, and to visit Ile d'Orleans (in St. Petronille, there is a great spot to stroll down along the St Lawrence; look for the painter Horatio Walker's home). I were you, I'd keep the car as it allows you to have your own schedule. As for places to stay, I've also had friends put up at the St. Pierre near the Musee de la Civilisation and they were delighted. And btw August is THE month to visit Quebec City imho, as it is cooler and the crowds are thinner.

Orlando
Level Contributor
104 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Quebec City

I just stayed at the Auberge Place d'Armes and can attest to the fact that it is a great hotel in a great location. However, the original poster did mention they are seniors, so stairs might be an issue unless they book on the first floor. However, you do actually have to walk up a few steps (6?, 8?) or so just to get in the lobby.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Quebec City

Back to the OP.

You SHOULD NOT be in Montréal between June 2 and June 9. Why? it is the Montreal Formula 1 Grand Prix as somebody mentioned but forgot to add that if you are not a millionaire this is the worst time of the year to be in town. Hotels triple their prices and many upscale restaurants just offers ultra expensive «menu de dégustation» .

So aside from that you can pick those dates to visit Québec City and then come in Montréal before or after the big hoopala since things are just normal before that week and return quickly to normal until around June 24

I am also worried about your travel from Jamestown NY by car. Will it be a rental car and are you planning to drop it in QC? If so this is a very bad idea, do not forget that you will be taking the car in one country and leaving it in another one soooo a hefty drop off tab awaits you. It would probably better to rent your car and use it until Platsburgh and then take the bus or, even better since it is scenic and there are great attractions nearby you could drive to the Burlington airport. The intercity bus stops there so just plan your schedule and you will be able to hop on the bus and be in Montréal less than 2 hours later (depending on custom).

Then you could also take the very good bus service from Mtl to QC (departures every hour) or the trains that, alas has less departures.

If while in QC you decide to do a countryside day trip then just rent a car for that day, no use of having a car standing iddle in an expensive lot and, yes, almost everything worth visiting is inside the small area of Old Québec or close by.

19. Re: Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 17, 2014