We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name of French Canadian Beer

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Name of French Canadian Beer

A friend asked me to get a bottle or two of a beer he had in Canada. It's either French, or French Canadian. According to him, it's name begins with the letter "L," and it has a gold foil/cellophane wrapping on the neck of the bottle. Does anyone know the name of the beer and where I could purchase a few bottled? Thanks in advance.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,786 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

While probably not La Fin du Monde, why not pick up a bottle anyway. 9% alcohol , so not one of the standard brews.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/15/

Edited: 12:13 pm, February 08, 2013
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

Ha, sorry tws. I honestly didn't see Laurentide mentioned by you when I first scanned your post. Of course I know it's horrible swill. Molson and Labatt don't have one beer that I would buy.

Edited: 3:15 pm, February 08, 2013
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

Swill is a polite word to describe that mixture.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

Maudite (spelling?) is pretty popular I believe....

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

La Maudite is in the same league as Fin du monde and the superdelicious Trois-Pistoles :) Popular, yes.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
10 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

Thank ALL of you. As one who can't stand the taste of beer, your comments have been helpful. I got some of the blond ?Lefel? and the dark 'cause he's a guy, and my bias is that lots of guys don't know their colors, and he DOES enjoy his beer, so his memory might be foggy. Might get some Fin du Monde. I figure nothing is too good for a guy who'll come to your home and see if you have a rodent -living or dead - under your oven.

Edited: 4:43 pm, February 09, 2013
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

That is generous of you to do so, especially since you are not a beer drinker yourself. Good choice, to pick up both Blonde and Brune Leffe. He will certainly be pleased by one, if not by the two (I prefer the dark one myself :) ). You might want to throw one Trois-Pistoles into the gift -- if for some reason he tells you he is not that much into dark beers, you could always use it for cooking. Can make a good Irish stew, or a mean onion soup.... And if he actually enjoys dark beer, he will appreciate A LOT.

18. Re: Name of French Canadian Beer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 11, 2014