We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

Hi.

We are going to spend 2 days in Quebec City for our anniversary. We have two small children (one of 2 1/2 years and one of 3 months). We would like to enjoy a good meal. Our 3-month old will probably sleep throughout the meal and our older son is pretty well behaved if we go out early enough. Having said that we prefer to not be scowled at if onw of them makes a sound. Any suggestuons are appreciated. We do appreciate fine foods and are staying in the lower city if that helps.

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

So you want a fine food restaurant that discourages families, but will be welcoming to you with two infants?

Cheers,

Terry

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

I read it that way as well. Not sure I can think of anything like that.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

erm... well. Maybe I was not exactly clear.

Usually when people classify a restaurant as a family-friendly the food is mediocre( ex. St-Hubert, Pizza Hut, etc...) I know there are always restaurants which are not exactly "fine cuisine" but offer great food and a laid back atmosphere. Are there any such restaurants in Quebec City or does everything divide within the two distinct categories (formal/fine and family/mediocre)?

IF you need examples, I can think of a few in Montreal but one that stands out is Gibby's. It offers great food and a nice laid back ambiance and is family friendly.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

or in other words a fine-food restaurant that is welcoming to families. Am I asking for too much perhaps?

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

I don't think you are. Most places are pretty laid back, and it isn't hard reading the menus to determine which places are high end fine dining, and really there aren't an over abundance of those.

Portofino on Rue St. Jean in Upper Town is family friendly. Italian but welcomes families and has some pretty good food, as well asa wine list.

What time of year are you going? Quebec City has a great cafe scene which can also be family friendly, such as Le Lapin Saute in Lower Town. Great duck and rabbit dishes, located next to a small park where musicians play. Ideal for all ages on a nice day if sitting outside.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
334 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

Thanks for your help JDP112456.

Going this January.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

Cafe du Monde could work well. Classic French bistro, but I can see kids not being a big deal there. It's quite roomy, so getting a table a bit out if the way would be easy. I love their food.

8. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 am, January 16, 2013
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

What is awful??? I think everyone is trying to be helpful.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants which are family-UNfriendly

bogwoppit, Cafe du Monde is another great suggestion. It is near the cruise ship terminal and they do have great food. You could easily walk over from where you are staying in Lower Town.

JDP