We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

I am looking for a tour of Eastern Canada and I found a web site for Amerika Venture tours with an attractive itinerary which focues on nature as well as the cities of Quebec, Montreal, and Ottawa. However, I can't find any reviews about this tour (there are a couple of links to Costa Rica). If you've heard about them or, better yet, traveled with them, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

One blurb on a blog is here:

carriegruwell.weebly.com/travel-passions.html

epinions.com often does tour reviews under their Travel tab, but I couldn't find anything for this tour company.

http://www.epinions.com/trvl

The bright light is that they seem to have been in business, with offices in Costa Rica and Canada, since 1996 or thereabouts. About 16 years.

Edited: 9:50 pm, October 26, 2012
Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

Dear Mufti: Thank you for your efforts to find something on this tour company. I've put in a couple of hours and come up empty. I've asked them to contact me this week so maybe I'll hear something. I love their itinerary and their small group but I'm reluctant to book with a company that no one has heard of.

Manhattan Beach
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

Amerika Venture contacted me and said they do tours in French and they will do English tours upon request for private parties. They gave me a few links to trip review in English but none of those reviews covered Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
56,957 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

Hi Jeanette,

I'm glad you were able to find out more about them. Thanks for posting, if someone is searching the forums, your information will pop up.

Attleboro...
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

I traveled with Amerika Venture to Costa Rica in late February, early March, 2012. My impression of them is mixed. On the PRO side, the itinerary was very good, incorporating several places that are not visited all that often. The price was also excellent. Our group had 6 people in it, including us, for the first week and 8 people for the second week. Our guide, Eric, (for week 2) was fantastic. Most of our accommodations were absolutely lovely, clean, and eco-friendly. The vans we rode in were comfortable with plenty of room. They also included a 2-day spa pass in Arenal that they didn't tell us about in our itinerary. Fortunately, we brought bathing suits.

On the CON side, the guide we were supposed to have for week 1 was switched on us after we arrived. Some guide was injured so our guide went to his group and we got Marabel. Marabel is a lovely lady and a good tour leader, but not a guide. She couldn't provide much information about sites outside of the cities and even admitted that she doesn't like birds (!).

The office staff was not very helpful. Often when I sent them an e-mail, I waited days for a reply. Their response, "We're very busy right now." (Too busy for your clients?) The pre-departure information was a melange of miscellaneous items that seemed to be just cut and pasted into a booklet. Much of it related to optional excursions that I spent some time reviewing, but as it turned out we really had no free time once we arrived and optional excursions were never mentioned!

Our itinerary said that we would be staying in cottages with ceiling fans in a very hot, remote section of the trip. After we arrived, we were switched to an "adventure camp" - no air conditioning, fan, or even walls! - that was absolutely awful and "substandard" according to Amerika Aventure's own description of the place! It got to the point where we were afraid to find out what they were going to switch on us next.

Although there were many positives about the trip, the negatives were enough to turn me off from Amerika Aventure. I can't recommend the company and I won't be traveling with them again.

San Jose, Costa Rica
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

Dear Amlbones, I was your contact at Amerika Venture and I remember well my various communications with your sister and yourself and I did review them one by one before replying on this public forum. I would like to point out it is unlikely for us to face negative feedback from our clients, but when do, we always try to bring changes to our services where we can improve them. We much value and consider with great attention any and all comments we get from our travellers. Most of our travellers fill out with thoroughness and enthusiasm our feedback forms sent to them upon their return home.

From what I have seen, our communications with you have always been timely and precise. There was one occurrence where you asked a specific question about adding as particular service (visit) to the tour. Your request was a challenging one and it implicated a communication with a colleague that was travelling (guiding a group) at the time. Once contact had been established, we tried incorporating the requested visit during a similar tour that was running the following week (we are then months before your tour), there again we faced a delay. We where truly trying to reply to you not with haste but with accuracy and genuinely tried to accommodate your request. It did take us some time, and I apologized for it.

Regarding your guide Federico who had been injured shortly before your tour, unfortunately we had to replace him at the time with the guide that was available at that moment. Maribel we trusted was the best replacement possible at that moment; in the middle of the high season when all the guides are assigned already (we assign our guides as much as a year ahead for that period of the year). Had this injury not occur, you would have had Federico as your guide on this tour who is also, as is Eric, one of our regular amazing naturalist guides in Costa Rica.

Regarding the tent camp in Corcovado, it is not a place for all travellers, true. We have since then listened to the comments of our travellers and did replace the tent camp with a lodge located in the Drake Bay area. As you mentioned, most of the accommodations used on our tours are "absolutely lovely, clean, and eco-friendly" it is however challenging for a tour operator to find similar lodges in the Corcovado area. Fortunately for us and our travellers, we have finally found a new place in the area since then and, however more rustic and simple than the other lodges on the tour (this is Corcovado) our travellers come back very happy.

Regarding the optional activities, I had personally informed you the tour was well filled and left very little time for extra activities, we have since then removed from our literature the optional activities the tour does not allow time for. Most people are happy to purchase a tour that is really all inclusive and not have to pay extras all the time along the way. That's what we try to offer. Regarding your travel documents, I have passed your comments to our production people who are always working at improving the quality of the documents and the accuracy of the information provided to the travellers.

Upon your return we have communicated with you about the aspects you mention here and I have replied in a letter on each aspect and mentioned the importance your comments had for us. It was the simple truth. We carefully reviewed your comments and worked at improving all the aspects that you mention here were unsatisfactory to you.

I would like to point out that the feedback from the other travellers in your small group reflects a high level of satisfaction. I do not mention this to diminish the importance of your own feedback, but I think it is only fair and worth mentioning as we do not send our happy travellers to these forums to publicize our name and very few of them come here naturally to talk about their experience. Building a reputation is a very long process and damaging it can be lightning fast, we know that and for that reason, we work hard to give the very best service, always. I hope you believe that.

We still hope you will consider travelling with us again in the future, kind regards,

7. Re: Have you heard of Amerika Venture tours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 03, 2014