We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ice hotel to kingston ontario

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ice hotel to kingston ontario

I need you travel advice whether the following is even possible.

I live in new orleans and was invited to give a talk in kingston ontario. I was hoping to fly from new orleans and go to the ice hotel for a monday overnight, travel tuesday to kingston, give my talk wednesday and fly home that evening.

What do you think is the cheapest and quickest way to do this? I do not understand the Via rail and don't know how far train station is from airport or what train stations I need to be looking for?

Flying into quebec city and returning from kingston is very expensive

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Kingston has only a very small airport, and Quebec City has only a mid-sized airport. You'd get better prices on flights to/from Montreal, which has a large airport and is roughly halfway between Quebec City and Kingston.

But, it's over 3 hours by train from Montreal to Quebec City, and 2 1/2 hours by train from Montreal to Kingston, so the detour to the ice hotel would involve a lot of travel time.

I believe the main Quebec City train station (QUÉBEC [GARE DU PALAIS STATION], QC) will be closest to the ice hotel, but the locals will be best able to help with that.

In Montreal, all trains operate from the main downtown station, Gare Centrale. However, trains to/from Kingston do make a stop at Dorval, which is very close (and connected by shuttle bus) to Trudeau International Airport.

There's only one train station in Kingston and it's a 15-minute taxi ride from downtown Kingston (and the Queens University campus, if that's where your talk is).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,092 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Well getting from Québec City to Kingston by train is a bit complicated and can be very long! You will have to transfer train in Montréal in all cases. There are only 4 trains per day, 3 on week-ends, between Québec City and Montréal and only 2 of them will allow same day transfer to the trains going to Kingston. It is easy to get the schedules and prices on the Via Rail website.

There is an excellent bus service between Qc and Mtl with departures every hours all day long, departures at Québec City for both trains and buses is at Gare du Palais which is in Lower Town near the historical parts and if you want to go there directly from the airport you will have to take a cab as it is the sole mode of transportation from the airport.

In Montréal trains arrive and departs all destinations from Gare Centrale / Central Station while buses are going to Gare d'Autocars de Montréal. As I wrote the bus circuit between Mtl and Qc is very easy and takes about the same time as the train. The bus service going from Montréal to Kingston and Toronto is a bit more cumbersome but, in fact, the main problem is a very long stop in Kingston that will not bother you as it will be your final destination.

Another possibility would be to fly in and out of Montréal and do Québec City and Kingston separately while keeping Mtl as your home base. I must also mention that we might get something similar but even bigger than the Ice Hotel right in Montréal. The Snow Village started last year but ran into a lot of problems due to the unusually warm weather and lack of snow that we had. I was almost sure that this attraction would not come back in 2013 due to the financial losses of last year but the website is still on line and gives January January 4, 2013 for the pre-opening and from 18 January 2013 for the official opening. You should keep an eye on this site : http://www.snowvillagecanada.com/ and may be skip Québec City if the Ice Hotel is your only goal there and visit the Snow Village in Montréal instead. Flying in and out of Montréal will be much easier and the Snow Village a good replacement.

Also you mention on planning to spend a night in the Ice Hotel, you could do the same at the Snow Village but I must warn you that the experience is far from comfortable. With the ice all around the rooms are at a bearable minus 4 C, aka around 25 F. but the humidity level is very high for the same reason so it could get bone chilling. In Montréal you will have the advantage that you could get to the Snow Village by the métro (subway) and the next day move quickly back in a regular hotel room afterward.

Oh and you don’t mention the dates of your trip but both places will open only in January. February will be the optimal time to visit either ones.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Thank you very much. This is perfect. I was only planning on quebec city to visit the ice hotel. I looked at the snow village website ant this would be just fine. I was planning around January 20, 21 and it says they are open.

So I can fly into montreal. Which train would I take to get from airport to snow village or how expensive would taxi be? I understand I would need to get to central station to go to Kingston. On return from Kingston, can I connect from Central station to the montreal airport?

I saw something indicating the restaurant at snow village is closed on Monday so do I need to bring food if I stay on a monday night?

Thank you so much. Why I love tripadvisor.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,092 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

I don't know about the restaurant situation at the Snow Village but if they offer lodging on Mondays they are probably including breakfast too. For the rest when making reservations just ask if things can be prepared and delivered to your room in thermos.

The 3 main lodging areas of Montréal, in the city per se and not the airport area, are cheek by jowl Downtown, Old Montréal and Latin Quarter. All 3 and neighboring areas offer many types of lodging, except that Old Montréal is more upscale and boutique hotels and can feel a bit off the beaten track in winter. Beside that you have all kind of lodging in those areas, all depending on your tastes and budget. In fact this is the main concern and you should give us an idea of your budget and in real $ as my luxury could be your moderate or vice versa..

As per transportation from the airport it is easy, you have a choice between cabs ($40 + tip flat rate for these areas), slightly more expensive limousines and the airport bus. This one is the 747 line and makes stops in Downtown, has others that are a 5 to 10 minutes walk to Old Mtl and ends it's course at the Gare d'Autocars in the Latin Quarter. Said Gare is almost on top of the main métro (subway) station so you can radiate from there to almost any points of interests or hotels. Look at a Montréal map and you will see a bit more on how it looks and you will see that the Snow Village will be located on Sainte-Hélène Island, one of the two islands in the middle of the river that make up Parc Jean-Drapeau. and there is a métro station there that will be a 5 minutes’ walk from the Snow Village.

By the way the cost of the 747 is $8 but this is actually a 24 hour pass for the whole transit system so if you must take the métro to get to your hotel it will not cost you more as it will fit in the pass, same for all the other transit needs for 24 hours. I am not totally sure about your exact arriving and leaving times but you could also buy a 3 days pass for $16 if you it fits your needs, that is continuing calendar days. So for the return you could take the same pass to get back to the airport if ok with your schedule or, if not, then buy another 24 hours pass that you could use for all your transportations on your last day.

Central Station is right downtown near a métro station (Bonaventure) although the way to get from métro to train station is a bit convoluted but hey, completely indoor, part of underground city so you won’t freeze! If you decide to take the bus to Kingston instead (Greyhound Canada) it will be from the same Gare d’Autocars where the 747 ends it’s course.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

If you take the bus to Kingston, you'll want to use Megabus. Greyhound Canada only goes Montreal-Kingston via Ottawa, doubling the trip time and forcing you to change between buses there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Maybe I missed something, but did you consider renting a car? It's an east drive, except Montreal, and much more convenient....

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
223 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Do not want to drive the distance so probably will take a taxi to hotel but need to bring food because will plan a Monday night. Then maybe subway to main train station to go to kingston. I see train from Kingston goes to airport and then shuttles every 20-30 minutes.

Are train schedules reliable? The last plane out to usa is within1 hour of when the train arrives (not including catching shuttle). Do I need to stay overnight because it's too tight connection time?

Is the Hotel Glace more luxurious than Snow Village or do you think it was opening issues? The latter is around half the price. Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

You should really be inside the airport terminal building two hours before your US-bound flight, a little less if you don't have checked baggage and have already gotten your boarding pass online.

You will clear US customs and immigration in Montreal, before boarding the flight home, so you can't really turn up at the last minute.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,092 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

You should give us a day by schedule of your trip at this moment and also your arrival and departure times.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,919 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ice hotel to kingston ontario

Hi moniquersvp;

I would suggest a rental car for your visit to Kingston. Enterprise has a car rental office about 0.5 mile / 0.8 km from the VIA Rail station in Kingston, at the intersection of John Counter Boulevard & Princess Street. If you were to call Enterprise, they may come and pick you up from the train station.

Best Regards