We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

We are planning a 4-day (3-night) stay in Quebec City.

We will arrive on Friday, August 17th. We are staying in old Quebec.

When we arrive in Quebec City on Friday we are planning on just checking in, and eating somewhere nice, then relax. Possibly stroll around the town a bit.

For Saturday, we are planning on probably spending most of the day around the city. We might take a walking tour, or just check out everything on our own. We are still trying to decide whether or not to do a tour. Saturday Evening we are taking the AML dinner cruise which travels by Montmorency Falls and should give nice views of the city at night.

Nothing is really planned yet for Sunday. I am trying to decide if there is enough to see in the city itself to just stay close to the city another day, or if we should venture out. Someone mentioned that "ile d'orleans" was a very nice, and close place to visit, so that is an option. We really like historic and unique sites, and love seeing scenery.

We will have most of the day on Monday to spend in the area as well.

If anyone has any advice to give on things that are must-sees in the area, I would really appreciate the suggestions. Also if there are restaurant suggestions that would be awesome too. I have been told that Le Lapin Sauté is amazing, and that definitely looks like a place we will probably want to eat one of the nights. We enjoy food that is unique to the area we are traveling in, and it looks like Quebec City offers many options for this.

Thanks for reading this, and I really appreciate any suggestions you might have.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

A couple of comments.

First, I know some have liked the walking tours that are offered, but QC is very easy to explore on your own. Everything is relatively close or not too far outside the city gates. And it gives you the chance to go at your own pace

Lower town can easily be done in a a half day, unless you also visit the Mussee de Civilsation, which is well worth it and will add a few hours more. You can see Petit Champalin, Place Royal, the harborside and cruise terminal, and Rue St. Paul. You can also venture over to the Farmer's Market, or take the ferry ride over to Levis and back, better near dusk for some outstanding pictures. If you decide to eat, then you probably have close to a day.

Upper town can take a full day with exploring the Chateau Frontenac, the Citadel, Plains of Abraham, Parliement, Grand Allee, Rue St. Louis, Rue du tresor and the artisits, and Rue St. Jean, to name a few spots. Again lunch , dinner or both.

If you have a car we love the island, only 15 minutes or so outside of the city but you'll feel farther away than that. A 2 hour drive, or longer if you stop and the orchard stands, wineries, or specialty shops.

You will easily fill up your time, but as I always like to suggest, make sure you also slow down and simply sit at a sidewalk cafe with a cup of coffee or glass of wine and people watch. Le Lapin Saute is perfect for that, and a good meal as well.

Enjoy!!

JDP

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

As JDP and others on the forum have useful ideas, I was wondering what would be recommended as souveniers that would be unique and that one would be able to take back into the US with no problem. I am definitely planning on stopping by the Casis farm on the Island and buying 2 bottles...which brings up another question...in taking wine into and out of Canada, is the limit 2 bottles (750ml) per person or per car? Thank you in advance for any & all help.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

Per person on the wine.

Unique to bring back? Don't bring a food item other than wine. Petit Champlain has many stores which offer Quebec made items. I should add one food item you could bring back is maple syrup.

JDP

quebec city
Level Contributor
357 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

Any Canadian citizen who spends more that 48 hours in the U.S can bring back 1.5 litres of wine OR 1.14 litres of spirits (40 oz) OR 24 bottles of beer $800.00 worth of goods PER PERSON. Based on my own experience I never had any problem bringing back 1.5 litres of spirits from the U.S. provided I duly declare them to the officer. The amount of $800.00 was increased last Spring.

As for U.S. citizens returning home here is what I found:

www.bridgedutyfree.com/allowancesus.html

The website seems up to date.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,055 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

There are lots of nice little shops (like JDP mentioned) on the Rue de Petit Champlain. You will also come across many shops scattered around the city.and If you go to the Museum of Civilization they have a great gift shop with unique items, Also there are a lot of neat shops at the Chateau Frontenac. And also one of my favourite stores is Claude Berry, it's located at 6 Côte de la Fabrique. They have pewter, china, and all kinds of other items made by artisans.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

Thanks very much for the suggestions JDP, all of your information is very helpful. I can't wait to see all there is in the Quebec City area!

Thanks again.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,942 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

Have a meal at Aux Anciens Canadiens on rue St. Louis..................YUMM!

Edison, New Jersey
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

We are planning on 3 nights 4 days too. With kids - 5 & 3 year olds...any advice on the below plan/itinerary? - There is so much to see/do in the area and so little time..Thanks!

Day 1 - drive check in; if we arrive early, will try to swing by the free Cirque du Soleil shows or Image Mill

Day 1 - head over to Saguenay Fjord - whale watching - will take the whole day

Day 2 - City sights - Terrasse Dufferin, the funicular, Benjo, Musee Civilisation, Mega Parc and we really want to do Montmorency falls too...not sure how much we can fit..?

Day 3 - Canyon St. Anne - 1/2 day, Ille d'Orleans - 1/2 day...

Is this practicable?...:)

9. Re: Advice on Quebec City Must-Sees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, August 21, 2013