We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

My husband, children 14&10 and myself are visiting Quebec for 5 nights in late December and wanted to take some type of guided tour on our first full day so that we can see the highlights of the city and also to help us get our bearings for our visit.

Originally I was thinking it would be absolutely charming to do the horse-drawn carriage/caleche tour. It goes for 2 hours and costs $240 and covers most of the must sees I believe.

We had then planned on doing a day bus trip out to Montmorency Falls and Island of Orleans another day which costs around $175 for 4 1/2 hours.

That would total $415.

Alternately, we could do a complete guided bus tour of Quebec City and then the Montmorency Falls and Island of Orleans countryside tour all in the one tour and in the one day. Cost would be $183 for a family ticket and the whole tour would take 8 hours.

Obviously the combined tour is significantly cheaper and I daresay warmer than being in the caleche haha. Scared me might freeze hehe.

But with that said, it's not purely a money decision for us.

We also value the uniqueness of a horse-drawn carriage tour of a beautiful city, something we would never get to do here in Australia. What a way to see everything. And I would also like that we could do this the first morning we are in your city and then do the out of town tour another day rather than a big block of 8 long hours.

I truly cannot decide and would love to hear from locals or others who have done any or all of the above on what their thoughts are?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

Thanks Bogwoppit - will have sunscreen but wouldn't have thought of the lip balm, good idea.

I'd love the ghost tour myself, although my 10 year old son mightn't. Perhaps my daughter and I could do it as a special treat if they are running.

Thanks for the tip on the tour company.

Have spoken at length with the family and they would really like to do the carriage ride so wish us luck, we'll be the freezing aussies hahaha.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,952 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

THere will be a blanket on the caleche, they always have them in the winter. BUy a hot drink before you get on, that'll help. You could always do the one hour caleche ride if it is very cold. Though December is realy very cold, well by our standards.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

Now to choose between the two caleche companies. One of them is obviously much larger and on their website it says they own 14 of the available 17 caleche licences. A very polished presentation etc. Then there is obviously the smaller more family run business with what appears to be a jolly irishman at the helm with a video of the carriage ride in winter etc and it seems more charming. Probably exactly the same experience and the route is the same. On $20 diff in price but I just can't choose. Too many decisions to make on these trips hahaha.

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

Dear Shuttergirl, Canada uses metric system...including celsius...

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
236 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

Oh I didn't realise, thanks for that Anectine.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

We just returned from Christmas in Old Quebec and took the Caleche Tour at 16:30 from where we stayed at Le Chateau Frontenac. It was -16 celcius without a windchill and the 45 minute tour was well worth braving the cold. The blankets provided were warm and the $80 tour was a bargain compared to the other prices during the holidays.

Bundle up if you do it. It is chilly, but no colder than any outdoor activity in late December. (our guide was Vincent - the man who traveled across Canada this summer as a knight, promoting good will and chivalry and he was amazing)

We also watched the tobogganing behind the Chateau. $5 for a run (as many as you can cram on the old fashioned wooden toboggan) and everyone who got off were laughing. We had toboggans like that when we were kids and didn't feel like cramming our spines into our brains (we are a bit older and wiser now) but it looked like a ton of fun.

Hopefully this isn't too late!

Edited: 11:21 pm, December 26, 2012
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,952 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

$5 a run??? Wow that is a big increase since last year, I remember it was only $2 then. It is a lot of fun though, but I am not sure $5 worth as you have to drag the sled up yourself.

18. Re: Guided tour in a bus or in a horse drawn carriage/caleche???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 29, 2013