We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

We will be visiting Quebec City for our first time on Sept 5 for 4 full days and 5 nights. I think I have our itinerary pretty well planned out (hopefully without overplanning.) Probably stroll the city for 2-3 days and see the sights and 2 day trips to Montmonarcy Falls, St Anne Beaupart, L’Orleans, St Anne Canyon, Les Sept-Chutes (sorry about misspellings.) Will be there for the Image Mill (we'll miss Cirque but that's OK, we've seen their shows many times.) We like history and architecture, but also like to do a bit of moderate hiking and we like waterfalls, etc. Am putting together a list of possible restaurants based on this forum and TA reviews. Unfortunately my hubby isn't keen on over-the--top expensive restaurants, so I'm looking for ideas that we can compromise on. (I'm still going to try for TOAST!, we'll see...) We like all kinds of food but have never really tried much French type of food. Here are my thoughts. Would love any feedback and figure I'll need to make a few reservations before we go.

Conti Café

Conchen Dingue

Lapin Saute

Bistro su Le Fort

Café St Malo

Chez Victor for a hamburger

Also thought for beer/drinks:

L’Oncle Antoine

Le Papa George

Thanks for your feedback! Sue

Edited: 11:31 am, July 02, 2012
Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from $90.90*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
894 Reviews
from $45.40*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
681 Reviews
from $24.49*
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

Sue, you picked many of my favorites!!!

Just a few thoughts. For Le Lapin, try to eat outdoors if you can. It is small, but it is located next to a very nice square where musicians usually play and sitting there, looking at the great architecture, while drinking a glass of wine, eatting good food and listening to nice music is a hard thing to beat.

Sous Le Fort is also small, and not many seats outside either. Had reindeer there last month and loved it!!

Terrific French Onion soup at L'Onlce Antoines. You wouldn't think so by looking at the very small small and kitchette where they make it but is is good. Good drinks also.

The owner at Le Pape Gorges often makes a chilli or something else to nibble on. The cheeses and wine selections are good.

Enjoy your meals.

JDP

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
54 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

We enjoyed both Cochon Dingue and Bistro su le Fort when we were there. The food is very good and not too expensive. We also enjoyed Cafe du Monde in Lower Town. It was just a little more expensive, but it was down at the St. Lawrence. The food and service was excellent. Another good restaurant is Bistro du Cap in Lower Town. Very tiny place, food is really good and friendly people. It was a little more expensive and upscale than Cochon Dingue.

Quebec City
Level Contributor
622 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

As a local, Cochon Dingue, Lapin Saute and Chez Victor are some of my favorite restaurants! For something different, Copas is a Spanish restaurant on Grande Allee that I discovered last year and really enjoyed. Also Ciccio Café, roughly across the street from Grand Théatre is my brother-in-law's favorite restaurant, it's a nice laid-back Italian place.

Just my thoughts!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

A couple of my favorite restaurants in Quebec City are Le Continental and Laurie Raphaël. Le Continental has been some sort of an institution for the past 50 years or so, their specialty is flambéed main courses prepared at your table by an experienced staff.

Laurie Raphaël was founded and still owned by a local celebrity chef. He is well known for his many appearances on the French CBC network and he also a Gordon Ramsay style show, but he has a much friendlier and warm-hearted attitude.

I saw you mentioned Papa Georges, but the name is Pape Georges (As in Pope George). You don't really want to go there for a meal, it's a place to stop by for a mid-afternoon or late-night snack consisting of a plate of select cheeses accompanied with wine or porto by the glass.

Enjoy your stay!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,983 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

I also love Cochon D'ingue, great food.

A lave I tried on our last visit was The Hobbit, a bistro on Rue St Jean outside the walls. Really great and fresh food, nice atmosphere and no prevention. I will definitely be gong back next visit.

I also love cafe du Monde, great food and the building is pretty neat, on a warm day sitting on their deck is great.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

Second for Laurie Raphael. Curiously even if it is located in the touristy area it attracts few tourists, most of the clientele is high ranking civil servants and local foodies. If you find it too expensive at night the lunches on weekdays are a great introduction at smooth prices.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

I think Laurie Raphael is somewhat off the beaten path which is why maybe more tourists don't find it. Yes, it is near the cruise terminal, but in Lower Town, once you get past Place Royal and maybe one more block the crowds thin out. If it was where Toast is, or even in Upper Town, say at Le Continental's spot, the tourist traffic would be much greater.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

Oh if you want to get good bistro food and atmosphere Le Café du Monde, Lower Town, in the Maritime Terminal is doing a great job at that.

Mechanicsville, MD
Level Contributor
194 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback. Looks like Le Cafe du Monde needs to be added to our list and will have to make a return trip to fit in all of the other great restaurants. I have been looking at one evening at something more upscale, either TOAST, Le Continental or Le Cremaillere. But will also take another look at Laurie Raphael. OK if it's a bit expensive but my husband isn't crazy about places that are too fussy. So I will have to be strategic:) Thanks again, we are really looking forward to our visit to Quebec City!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Choices for Quebec City Trip

I forgot to mention Café du Monde. I was there a couple of weeks ago and had a good time. (Just look for my review). BTW, it's almost across the street from Laurie Raphaël.

It's true Laurie Raphaël is quite pricey, but if you have a highlight dinner for the trip, it's the place. It's not that much of a fussy place, staff is young and friendly. If you want the summum in fussiness (and quality), consider the Champlain Dining Room of the Château Frontenac. It's under the direction of a world-renowned chef, Jean Soulard. That hotel is where where heads of state, diplomats and royalty usually stay when they're in town.

Tidbit of trivia... Laurie and Raphaël are the names of Daniel Vézina's two children (He's the chef/owner that we can see on the French CBC network)

Edited: 2:03 pm, July 11, 2012