We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to quebec city from hamilton

St. George, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
driving to quebec city from hamilton

I am thnking of taking Buffalo interstate to Montreal and crossing into Montreal to avoid the 401 grid lock and am wondering if crossing at Upper new York into Montreal prevents the Montreal chaos in navigation. Thanks for any suggestions. The time is about the same, not worried about that factor.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
York
York
Maine
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

If you go Buffalo, Syracuse than head north to 401 you will just add 100km and the time for two border crossings. Not sure that you will be saving any time. Regardless of what route you take from Burlington you will end up entering Montreal from 401, highway 20 in Quebec.

Mentioned in this post
Buffalo
Buffalo
New York
Syracuse
Syracuse
Finger Lakes, NY
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
251 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
St. George, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

Thank you , time is not a concern. Scenery, and a relaxing drive. Do you know what end of Montreal does the border connect to? I want to be the furthest east as i can be. Not good at major city driving and cannot speak French to read signs.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

dcox_12 In my opinion you should not be concerned about your ability to read signs on the highways in the province: as long as you understand: nord=north, sud=south, est=east and ouest=west, you will be just fine! What else would appear in French on the direction panels are the names of the cities, so no need to translate ...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,188 posts
791 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

You approach Montreal from the South, I mean the Sud....

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,216 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

Hello dcox_12,

Also if you are concerned about the gridlock try and avoid rush hour in Montreal which I believe is at it's busiest in the hours between 3:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.

Safe travels!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
6. Re: driving to quebec city from hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, June 22, 2013