We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec or Montreal

manchester, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec or Montreal

We're arriving in Montreal on the afternoon of June 20, 2 nights before meeting friends there and heading to Mont Tremblant on the Friday afternoon. We can't decide whether to travel up to Quebec City straight from the airport and spend the two nights there or head up to Montreal or both for those nights, or do one night in each. We're a couple in our early 30s and like eating out, walks and generally keeping busy but taking it easy. Keen on the thought of Quebec as it looks beautiful and enchanting but also not sure if we're missing out by not spending any time in montreal. Partner's sister lives in Toronto so will be back for sure but any suggestions would be great.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Mont Tremblant
Mont Tremblant
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
250 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
iX pour Bistro
$$$$, American, International, Fusion
Restaurant Initiale
$$$$, European, French
Laurie Raphael
$$$$, Canadian, Contemporary
Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec or Montreal

For the sake of convenience, plus getting a chance to explore one area, I would opt with staying the 2 nights in Montreal. Quebec City is indeed beautiful and worth a visit, but both cities deserve more than one night.

As you are closer to your overall destination of Mount Temblant, stay with Momtreal and visit Quebec City on a return trip.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
quebec city
Level Contributor
367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec or Montreal

I second JDP112456 besides you would spend hours travelling back and forth between Montreal and Quebec City. Each city would deserve to be explored more than 2 nights as you will see.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
manchester, UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Thanks guys. So we'll go for Montreal. Keen to stay in the Plateau area. Do you have any recommendations for BnBs?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
81,607 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Hi sammy978;

So as not to be "off topic" for this forum, I would suggest posting your query on the Montreal forum. That forum is here on TA;

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g155032-i51-Montrea…

Best Regards

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,190 posts
790 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Alot more to do in Montreal, but Quebec is so cool to see if you are that close.....if you're going to be in Toronto in the future, you can still do Montreal on a weekend trip....

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
250 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Montreal is like any other large city. There is nothing really unique or special about it. Frankly, it is boring. You might as well be in Toronto.

I think Quebec City is so much more interesting. I would for sure go to Quebec City.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Montreal is like any other big city? Like Toronto? Well I suppose a city is a city is a city, however many people would disagree. I find the vibe in Montreal totally different than Toronto. Boring? Hmmmm. I think that may not be a reflection on the city itself.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
8. Re: Quebec or Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:57 am, November 06, 2012
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec or Montreal

I hope I can also express my opinion and disagree with just about everything said in the post above.

Sammy: most people would say that Montreal is not like any other big city in North America because of the language, culture, legal system, architecture, history, layout (much less of a grid, especially in Old Montreal).

Quebec City is also very interesting but the Old Town, which is what visitors normally focus on, is more touristy. Greater Montreal is almost 4M while Quebec City a bit above 500K in population and it is normal that Quebec City cannot offer as much diversity in cultural and other activities.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Old Montreal
Old Montreal
11,733 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec or Montreal

Chacun son goût!

I have traveled to many cities in North-America, the Caribbean and Europe and liked all of them and, even between different US Cities I found each one unique and worth some time to visit.

Of course I haven't been to Cincinati, Oklahoma City, Tulsa or Saint-Louis but even there I think that I could find interesting features even if they could all be linked under the "usual American generic big city" moniker.

If we tend to suggest Québec City over Mtl sometimes on these forums it is mainly because of the beautiful location, the very nice (and old by N-A standards) architecture and it's very European feel. That doesn't mean that Mtl is lacking in uniqueness, it is probably up there in the Top Ten most unique large cities on the continent but even for those that will not rank in the Top Ten I am sure that there are a lot of interesting things to discover.

Just keep an open mind all the time. Before visiting Québec City Cm7872

was full of worries that she posted on this forum but now... Bingo she loves that city!

Lessons to be learned:

-don't over worry

-be curious

-be open to new experiences

-go with the flow.

But yes it is a conundrum to pick Mtl over Qc or vice versa if you have very limited time and it will finally end up choosing in relation of your point of origin, your expectations and how often you might think you can visit either.

Mentioned in this post