We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Albany, New York
3 posts
A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

My husband and I are driving to Quebec City this Saturday to see GPF. This will be our first time in the city. I'm looking for hotel/restaurant recommendations (clean, safe and reasonable), and absolute-must do-sight-seeing/activity. Thanks in advance.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,443 Reviews
from $89.80*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
908 Reviews
from $44.90*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
709 Reviews
from $24.19*
whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Price range?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
83,409 posts
103 reviews
2. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Sugsngh;

Just a reminder…citizens of the United States require one of the following to cross the border by land.

• U.S. Passport

• U.S. Passport Card

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

For complete details;

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

Level Contributor
1,818 posts
23 reviews
3. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

GPF? Do either a expedia, travelocity or orbitz search for a hotel. You want to be in a central location in the old city. Well anywhere in the old city is fine. The Clarendon you might consider for its location. Try the Entrecote on St Jean for a nice lunch or dinner. Aux Anciens Canadiens for a great lunch. Dinner is way too expensive there. Cafe de la Paix is nice too. Very cosy setting.

whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

I would go for a first stay upper town, this week-end the Christmas German Market is open. Clean, safe reasonable = Hotel Champlain they have a parking lot or Hotel du Vieux Quebec or Auberge Place d'Armes .

Paillard for lunch or le Lapin Sauté or Cochon Dingue

Le Pain Beni for dinner or Le St-Amour or Il Teatro

Read here on TA for more comments

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
41 reviews
5. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

I totally agree with the Clarendon as we've stayed there many times and it is right in the middle of everything in Upper town.

We also love Aux Anciens Canadians and I agree with eatting lunch there, but do get a reservation as the location is small as it is one of the oldest buildings in the province.

As for other places to eat, Le Lapin Saute in Lower town is also great. It has duck and rabbitt specialties.

As for must sees, I say the best is to simply walk the streets of the old city and explore on your own. There will be Christmas lights out, plenty of quuaint shops, old churches, a wonderful museum in Lower town, and Parliment just outside the Old City gates. You'll see and do plenty.

Enjoy!!

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
6. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

If you look at the Things to Do section, located in the upper left green box you will come with a lot of things to do and/or visit. I have reservations about Morrin Center being so high on the list but for the rest it really reflects the offerings around. So as my esteemed colleague JDP suggested you can just wander around and get inside a café, restaurant, church or museum to get warm for a while. But to really do the best of that in a limited time you should try to get acquainted with the lay of the land so one day you spend most of time in Lower Town, Another day Upper Town inside the walls (intramuros) and another extramuros.

For extramuros if you would like to walk all the way to National Battlefield Park (Plains of Abraham) then you could have a look at the Musée des Beaux Arts and have a very nice lunch at the restaurant there, not the café.

The museum to which JDP was referring is not that one but another, near Place Royale in Lower Town: Museum of Civilization.

If you haven't decided yet on your hotel then I would start doing very serious shopping as prices are quite low and/or many packages are available right now because it is the dead season. Even the Fairmont Chateau Frontenac could be accessible at this time.

Albany, New York
3 posts
7. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Thank you all for your feedback. GPF = Grand Prix Finals. We are planning on being at GPF on Sunday. We will have part of Saturday and Monday to roam around the city. We haven't booked the hotel yet, planning on doing it tonight or tomorrow for sure. We were thinking of going with the Holiday Inn; it has great reviews and the price is in our range.

whitestone, ny
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Just to mention that the Holiday Inn is in the suburbs not in the City, so we will have to find a parking for the day and travel in the city.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Well I would never suggest this location in the summer as there will be a lot of people and not so much parking space available on Old Québec but at this time of the year it will be an easy drive and not a problem to park your car during the day at either two municipal parkings indoors in Upper Town, the one under City Hall and the one on D'Youville Square. Lower Town it's the Old Port parking lot. But the tae might be heftier than what you think.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
13,049 posts
34 reviews
10. Re: A Sudden Trip to Quebec City

Look at the Delta if you want a bit cheaper, but within walking distance of the Old CIty. The Holiday Inn is not really the best choice. The Delta is $97 for the Saturday night and is in a much better location. I used www.kayak.com to find the rate.