We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local cool / funky areas

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Local cool / funky areas

Hello, thinking of visiting Quebec in the next few months and wanted to know of any intersting areas, maybe outside the city walls.

When I went with some friends some years ago, we never really left the walled city and were kind of disappointed with how touristy it was.

I was hoping to eat at some local spots, sample Quebec cheeses and ciders and maybe a local market.

I speak almost fluent French, so language won't be an issue.

Thanks for your help!

Tours Voir Quebec
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Old Quebec Tours
Bus Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Caleches Quebec
Sightseeing Tours
Quebec City
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local cool / funky areas

Hi urbanfoodie,

I think the Laurier boulevard area as developped pretty well in the last year or so for food lovers. So if you don't want to stay in the old city, this might be a good option (most hotels will call it Ste-Foy). I have heard many good things about ALT Hôtel.

Another area, closer to the old town, but still out of the tourist path is anything close to Cartier Street. Shopping isn't too bad, and there are decent restaurants around.

Nouvo St-Roch is also something very different. Some of my favourite restaurants and bars are in that area. You have to be aware that the area is still developping though. There are still some bad apples in St-Roch...

For local flavours, you have to drive around Ile d'Orléans. It's always better to do this between spring and fall because that's when most things are open, but it is probably doable in the winter also (with a little less choice). For a shorter option (in time, and distance), visit the farmers' market in the old port, and JA Moisan grocery Store on St-Jean St. .

I hope this helps :) Feel free to ask more questions!

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local cool / funky areas

Airfare are very cheap right now between Toronto and Quebec City. Porter Airlines will add 3 daily flights between the 2 cities at the end of the month. Air Canada and Westjet will fight with Porter to keep their customer.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local cool / funky areas

Thanks so much! Will look into these for sure. My wife and I are trying to cut down our vacation travelling (we're currently going to Europe twice a year) so Quebec City looks like a wonderful option for a long weekend or so.

4. Re: Local cool / funky areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, May 04, 2010