We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

Is it possible to get from New York to Quebec City by bus. We are travelling around 15 December and wonder if it is possible to get there by bus and which companies go this route.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Level Contributor
700 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

Hi excited traveller,

I hope you are conscious of the long distance and the long hours you would be covering in a bus. New York City (assuming you are talking the city and not just the state in general) and Quebec City are about 900 Km apart. The bus trip would be extremely long and hard on you poor body.

The only company I know that does the link between the US and Canada by bus is greyhound. You would have to transfer at a few different spots, and transit by Montreal (which is a pretty big detour). They won't show their prices online, so you would need to call them to get a rate. In Montreal you could transfer in a bus from Orléans Express and travel to Quebec City (Gare du Palais).

On the other hand, I allowed myself to check Porter Airlines. THey have one way tickets available for 155$ CDN (changes and cancellation with extra fees) between Newark and Quebec City. This is REALLY UNEXPENSIVE!!! Yes, it does transit by Toronto (an even bigger detour), but if you leave at 6:15 am, you are in Quebec City by 1:30pm. That looks pretty good to me.

Here are the links to the websites:

Greyhound:

http://www.greyhound.ca/home/

Orléans Express:

http://www.orleansexpress.com/Default.aspx

Porter Airline:

https://www.flyporter.com/fly/Search.aspx…

I hope this helps you consider other options :)

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Gare du Palais
Gare du Palais
167 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

As is the case with Australia, both USA and Canada are gigantic and distances enormous.

So the drive by bus from NYC to Montreal takes around 8 hours. There are different buses with timings that varies a bit. The overnight bus leaves in both directions at around midgnight, arriving around 7h30. That used to be a good option for people that can sleep on buses, naturally or with the help of a sleeping pill but no more since all buses now stops halfway in Albany for a fuel refill and everybody must get out.

Then Orléans Express buses takes about 3 1/4 hours and there is buses every hour on the hour from Mtl all day long. You leave from the same terminal where Greyhound drops you so probably less than an hour for transfer, unless after 10 pm which is the last departure.

I have done many times NYC / Mtl and nefer got fidgety except on the night bus when I could not sleep so I will say that from my point of view the trip is much less streneous than what Qc-girl wrote but still a very big bus trip. Plane can be a possibility if it fits in your budget but, you should also consider staying in Mtl for an overnight and depart at 6 am by the first bus to Qc.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Canada
Canada
North America
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Albany
Albany
New York
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

For your information, daily flights between Newark and Quebec with Porter Arilines will start on December 18th 2009.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
251 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
quebec city
Level Contributor
367 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

Depending on the time you leave New-York City it will

take between 7 h 54 min. and 8 h 50 min. to get from NYC to Montreal.

Select Departs Arrives Duration Carrier Sched.

12:01am 07:55am 7h, 54m 0 GLI 4036

08:30am 04:55pm 8h, 25m 0 GLI 4008

11:15am 08:05pm 8h, 50m 0 ADP 0278

06:30pm 03:10am 8h, 40m 0 ADP 0292

09:00pm 05:20am 8h, 20m 0 GLI 4006

The cost will range from $82.00 to $99.00 wether you

have a refundable or non-refundable ticket.

www.greyhound.com

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
nyc
Level Contributor
93 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

You can take the Amtrak out of Penn Station - arrive in Montreal, then take the bus from Montreal to Quebec City - it will be an all day travel adventure.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
6. Re: Bus travel from New York to Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 06, 2010