We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

Texas
2 posts
Whale watching

Has anyone done this? Can it be done from Quebec City or does one need to drive north? If so, how long does it take to get to Tadoussad? Many thanks for your assistance. Will be trying to do this last week in July.

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,441 Reviews
from $90.30*
Best Seller
Half-Day Trip to Montmorency Falls...
907 Reviews
from $45.20*
Best Seller
Quebec City Walking Tour
703 Reviews
from $24.34*
Montreal
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Whale watching

I've done it, and it's really cool. You'll have to take a drive to Baie Ste-Catherine which is about 2-1/2 to 3 hours from Quebec City...if you wanted to go to tadoussac you'd have to go a little further and take the ferry boat across the Saguenay river.

Weather permitting, check out the whales in a Zodiac boat:

www.croisieresaml.com/AC.html…

enjoy,

rob

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
2. Re: Whale watching

We just got back from Tadoussac last week and it was a blast. Definitely take the zodiac boat. We left from Essipit which is just across the river from Tadoussac about 20 minutes. If you leave early in the morning it is about a 3 hour drive. The drive up is beautiful as you drive along the St. Lawrence through the mountains. Don't miss it.

Ontario
2 posts
3. Re: Whale watching

We are leaving for Tadoussac tommorrow and we want to go whale watching. We want a boat that is respectful to the whales and gives them their space. Any other boats you suggest than the zodac because were bringing my grandmother.

Woodbury,New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Whale watching

Yes, you can do a whale watch tour from Quebec City. I did one two weeks ago. There is a tourist info office across the square from Chateau Frontenac inside the old city walls. There is an option to drive yourself to the ship or take a shuttle from Quebec City. I chose to drive the 3 hours to Tadoussad and found it to be a beautiful drive through countryside and quaint towns. This is an all day excursion, bus will leave about 8am and return about 8pm. I thought it well worth the time. You should make sure to go up into the fjord-it's unbelievablely beautiful. I saw Mink and Beluga whales,very impressive. Make sure to bring a warm jacket(eventhough it was upper 80's in Quebec City it was very cool and windy on the ship). Enjoy!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Whale watching

The public overlook where the Saguenay meets the St. Lawrence - a converted lighthouse - has a sign saying there are six species of whale, and eight species of dolphin in the vicinity... and the area is beautiful. You must be impressed at how wide the St. Lawrence is at that point.