We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Which Quebec City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southport, UK
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Hi all,

I am travelling to Quebec for 3 nights on August 24-26 2007 and would like some suggestions on where to go, what to do and see?

My girlfiend and I are in our late 20's, well I am actually 30 on the 26/08, we don't like museums, but prefer to spend time chilling out in a nice bar people watching or doing something interesting like stadium tours, boat trips and shopping etc

As I am 30 on the 26/08, can you suggest a nice restaurant for sat 25/08. I been to Canada 4 times before, Montreal, Toronto twice and Banff Skiiing, so already love the country, just never been to Quebec before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Simon

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

A dinner at rotating restaurant at the top of the Loews Le Concorde hotel might interest you. They have a buffet on saturday nights that's wonderful. It's about 40$ each. The word buffet might sound "cheap", but it's a real classy place with an incredible view of the city.

Another great place to eat is "Le Cosmos", next to Le Concorde.

The good thing is it's on Grande-Allée, the place where you'll want to be to party. "Chez Maurice" and "Chez Dagobert", the Hot Spots in town to dance, drink and people watch, are right next door.

You might like to catch a baseball game. The local team "Les Capitales" plays in an old stadium, 1930's like.

You'll want to shop at Place Laurier, Place Ste-Foy and Place de la Cité, in Ste-Foy borrough. Those 3 shopping malls are one next to the other, making them of of the biggest shopping place in Canada, meaning hundreds of shops to chose from.

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

About the restaurant I wrote about, it's called "L'Astral" and we say "revolving restaurant", sorry for my english ; )

About boat trips, I never took it, but you might like a tour on the "M/V Louis Jolliet". They offer evening long tours on which you can eat and drink. I read they offer quite a party on this boat on Friday nights at midnight. A dancing party with a DJ, that lasts 2 hours. And it's only 13$.

If you want a tip on a cheap boat ride : take the ferry that goes from Quebec to Lévis (on the other side of the River). It has the same fares as public transportations. It's only about 10 minutes long, but that way you'll have a terrific view of the city, especially of the Chateau Frontenac. Great pics guarranteed !

And if you feel like taking a walk in old Lévis and have the best ice cream experience ever, go up the hill to this place called "Chocolats Favoris", on Bégin Ave. They dip their vanilla ice cream in their own homemade chocolate (try the dark one). Unforgettable !

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Hello,

Shopping....Rue de Petit Champlain ..do not miss! Before you go up the stairs on Rue de Petit Champlain there is a boutique called Oclan that has gorgeous clothes and carries some stuff by designer Michael Kors. Also another interesting store that comes to mind is J A Moisan...oldest grocery store in North America....it is a phenomenal place with lots of goodies to bring back home and just having a look around is fascinating.

On St-Joseph Street there is a Hugo Boss store and some other trendy shops you might enjoy. There are a few good restaurants in that same area.

If you like strolling along streets that are full of art galleries and antique shops, bistros and so forth check out Rue St Paul and Rue St Pierre.

Here is a link, if you are interested to a few more of my favorite shopping areas in Quebec City.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i6189-Love_to_s…

Restaurants...Panache is excellent but bring lots of $$$$...well worth it though for a special occasion or your last night in QC.

Toast is also a very nice place with great food and it is a cozy and romantic place. Patriarche is another good restaurant and has an amazing vegetarian platter.I have recommended Charbon - a restaurant at the Train Station quite a bit lately, it has great steaks. I would recommend reservations to avoid disappointment.

Best of luck.

London England
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

I am planning on travelling to Canada next year 2008 and was looking for suggestions on where to visit. I will be visiting in Late July early August with my husband and 7yr old daughter. Its takes me a year to plan my holidays and i have just returned for a 3 week visit to Florida. I don't like the cold so was looking for somewhere warm. I am going to be staying 2-3 weeks so didn't want to stay in one place for the full duration. I am thinking of flying to Toronto as i was told that its great for shopping and sight seeing.

any suggestions welcome

Thanks Carmel

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Hello tipex1969.

Are you thinking of Quebec City ....since you posted here I am assuming it must be part of your plan. If you have a couple of weeks you will be able to visit a few areas of Canada. You mentioned Toronto, July is usually very hot and humid in Toronto. The weather in Quebec City is not quite as hot although apparently July was very warm in Quebec City this year. I just came home a few days ago after spending over a week in Quebec City and at night it was cool enough that I needed a light jacket. I would highly recommend Quebec City. It is a gorgeous city with tons of stuff to do, hundreds of amazing restaurants, great hotels, excellent shopping too.

Toronto does have great shopping, you will be able to find anything here from high end designer items to latest fashion trends, vintage clothes etc. There is a lot to do in Toronto as far as sightseeing, museums, art galleries and even interesting places to go for day trips. One place I would suggest you visit for a day if you do go to Toronto is Niagara Falls. It is an easy train or bus ride away and there you can go on the Maid of The Mist and also head to Niagara on the Lake which is only about 15 minutes from Niagara Falls and have lunch or dinner there and stroll along the scenic streets and visit the boutiques and so forth. There is also a Butterfly Conservatory your child would enjoy.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g155033-r571…

bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/villesquebec0.html…

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g155019-Toronto_Onta…

http://www.niagaraparks.com/nfgg/maidmist.php

www.niagaraparks.com/garden/butterfly.php

tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g154999-Niagara_on_t…

Hope this gets you started. Good luck with your plans and feel free to ask any more questions.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Hi Simon

Gret infos provided by 2ndcup and N/deco up there.

I could add a few suggestions:

- views: l'Astral for a drink while the sun is going down (it takes the restaurant 1 hour to complete a full rotation), or alternatively go to Observatoire de la Capitale for a 360º view over the city, the river, the Laurentian mountains and Orléans island.

- people watching: indeed Dagobert and Chez Maurice, across the street from each other on Grande-Allée. Also on a terrace on Ste Anne St, near the tiny Rue du Trésor, the pedestrian street where you may buy prints and drawings from artists

- cruises: the cheapest one has got to be the regular ferry from Lower Town to Lévis on the south shore: less than $3 per person, and you may remain o the ferry as long as you want. It takes 10 minutes to cross the river, and at day time, there is a crossing every ½ hour (every 20 minutes AM & PM rush hour). You may go to the upper deck, and shoot as many spectacular shots of Qc City's skyline as you want. Best early AM (sun reflects on the Château Frontenac and Cape Diamant) or at dusk.

- nature activities, sightseeing: see suggestions in this Inside Page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s407/Quebec-C…

- sugestions for shorter cruises while dining in this page: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155033-s506/Quebec-C…

Day time: weather is warm (around 18-20ºC), evenings much cooler in August, and even more so at night (7-10ºC lately). It's sunny practically every day, but I cannot guarantee what kind of weather there will be when you're here, since we usually have a few s***** days following a hurricane down south...

Weather forecast: www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/forecast/city_e.html…

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

Hi Tipex 1969

Could you possibly land in Toronto, and fly back from Montreal? If you could, you could travel Toronto --> Montreal --> up to Quebec City if you fancy, by public transportation (www.viarail.com - substantial discounts if you book well ahead of time - this is the rail opportunity; you could also consider the train one way from To to Mtl, and then buy a return ticket fot Mtl - Qc City - Mtl keg) and eventually rent a car for day trips around Qc City. Qc City --> Montreal is easily done by bus (www.orleans express.com, departures every hour from both cities daily, much more than the train) so you would not have to backtrack all the way to Toronto.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

I meaned: 'return ticket for the Montreal -> Qc City -> Mtl Leg' -- through a bus journey.

9. Re: Quebec for 3 days - August 24-26 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, September 08, 2009