We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City Lodging choices

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
62 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec City Lodging choices

I am planning a trip to Montreal and QC for July. I have found wonderful condo/apartment rentals in Montreal. We plan to stay there a week and take it in slowly. But Quebec City has been more of a challenge. There seems to be limited vacation rentals within the walls. I am now considering renting in Stoneham where we can still go in and enjoy the fun of the city but have a nice escape for the lazy days. Am I making a serious mistake by staying outside of the city?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Yes you are. Stoneham is quite far from everything. Is commuting on a daily base how you envision holidays?

Have you tried www.vrbo.com?

Today is your day of luck: I retrieved a text posted here in the past, by TA member 'Tellurian' :

" Posted by Tellurian: 10:46 am, 24 nov

Hello elloco. You can find the listing for the Maison des Ursulines on vrbo.om (vacation rental by owner): http://www.vrbo.com/77520 I have not stayed there, but I know the location is great. My husband and I have stayed twice during winter carnival at this apartment: http://www.vrbo.com/48197 The landlord, Tim Maheras has other apartments in QC as well. We really enjoyed the apartment and its super location for carnival. Other times we like to stay in Lower Town, where we are among the many fans of the Hotel Dominion 1912. Here are other apartment properties we know about: Studios d'Auteuil: Did not stay here, but found as a late-available accommodation for some friends traveling as a couple with a baby and an adult friend. Had a nice ground floor apartment with a separate bedroom and living room/pullout bed arrangement, kitchen, fireplace, private bathroom. Has advantage of being close to Carnaval grounds. www.auxstudiosdauteuil.com/index.php… Maisonette: owned by B&B la Marquise de Bassano: right on rue des Grisons behind the Chateau Frontenac has 3 double beds- 1 downstairs, one upstairs on landing and another a few more steps up; has coffeemaker, fridge and microwave, T.V. and phone; shower bathroom on downstairs level. Lots of space, though all open, i.e. no walls between beds. Very nice tucked-in location, but central.(The couple has other apartments and a real B&B, so ask. They speak English.) http://www.krazymoose.com/kmqc1037.asp Appartements de Pierre: run by same management as Le Chateau de Pierre, both near Chateau Frontena; apartments are from roomy studios to 1-bedrooms+living room with pullout bed; all have full kitchen equipment; very nice. We were very comfortable here. quebecweb.com/chateaupierre/introang.htmlWe have also visited their hotel property and it is lovely too: quebecweb.com/chateaudepierre/introang.htmlAu Manoir Sainte-Genevieve & Les Appartementes Sainte-Genevieve: stayed here years ago and friends have more recently; great location across square from Chateau Frontenac; choose rooms or apartments with kitchenettes. http://www.quebecweb.com/msg/introang.htmlI keep a collection of these alternative-to-hotel accommodations to share with friends and on forums. I hope that I will not draw ire like Eirelover and NorthernDecorator just did about their recommendations! I am not compensated by any of the hotel or apartment managers; I simply appreciate shared information from others when I plan trips and like to reciprocate as well as put in a good word for good places to help keep them in business until I can return. "

If you ever succeed in finding room at Maison des Ursulines, you won't believe how well located it is - close to everything, inside the walls, on a very short, hidden, delightful and quiet street. A few members have stayed there. I do not know myself how the rooms are, neither in this particular place or any of the other ones.

July is peak season to start with, and July sees our yearly Summer Festival (July 5-15), very popular and attracting serious crowds. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
B&B La Marquise de Bassano
B&B La Marquise de...
224 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Le Chateau de Pierre
Le Chateau de Pierre
391 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Manoir Sainte Genevieve
Manoir Sainte Genevieve
66 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Yorkshire, UK
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Friends stayed at Manoir Sur Le Cap (www.manoir-sur-le-cap.com) last year in their condo and thought it was great, we have booked for this summer but in the b&b part. It is central in Vieux Quebec opposite the Chateau Frontenac.

Mentioned in this post
Manoir Sur-le-Cap
Manoir Sur-le-Cap
260 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Hi Eirelover - I am honored you think enough of my post to pop it in. Ontheroadagainsoon - I am glad to answer questions about the apartments. Also, just for fun, check out my photograph from the Tim Maheras apt. taken a couple of winter's ago. I have entered it in the Conde Nast Traveler Dream Trip Contest. Go to:

concierge.com/cntraveler/…dreamtrip2007 - then "jump into the gallery" and put my user name, Tellurian, into the search box. The Quebec photo (and others will pop up.)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Quebec Inn
Hotel Quebec Inn
237 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Here is another link I found that might be of interest. I have no personal experience with any of the listed apartments, but they look nice. http://www.imcha.com/rental/Quebec

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Tellurian - you really are resourceful, aren't you ;-? I had never seen this last site. Bookmarked it. Thanks!

Re: my reference to your former post: I find it so handy for people who insist on staying inside the Old City, and prefer staying in s/things else than a hotel. Quality and helpful posts, like yours, deserve publicity.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Merci beaucoup, Eirelover - I make note of many of YOUR sage tips for my trips north. We got over a foot of snow today in Bar Harbor - are you buried too?

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Less than a foot of snow - but carried away by strong winds, it has been enough to keep me busy shovelling for over 2 hours ...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

I use vrbo a lot, but when I tried it last easter for the summer season I was too late....good luck, you will need to be flexible on dates I think. I stayed in Stoneham and LOVED it. Depends what you want out of your holiday. I golfed, kayaked, biked and hiked by day, and hit the old town at night. Best of both worlds. Also, Stoneham is cooler at night, so no A/C is necessary. It is a 25 mins drive from the ski hill to the old town, very direct route...only problem will be parking for the weekends when there are festivals on....and there are always festivals on!!! (My advice, the parking lot across from the hospital in the old town.) There is a shuttle for $4 that runs from Stoneham to Old Quebec twice a day, so you dont have to drive in, if you are willing to be tied to their schedule. Stoneham has an excellent grocery store just down the hill, but there is only one restaurant in town, so you will have to go to the city to dine, or eat in. We used Chalets Alpins if you want to consider the Stoneham option...Francois was the fellow to talk to, and he gave us an excellent rate, compared to some of the others in the area.

Mentioned in this post
Old Quebec
Old Quebec
11,140 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

elien: snow gees are not here yet ... (apologies to OnTRAS for threadlacking)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quebec City Lodging choices

Thanks Eirelover, I was there last Easter and the timing was perfect, so I thought it should be any time now....will wait for your OK.