We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
144 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Hi...

My family and I are thinking of having dinner at either Le Saint-Amour or at Le Continental on Christmas Eve.

Would they be opened on Christmas Eve or on Christmas Day ?

Do they have kids menu as well ?

Does anyone know the schedules of the Midnight Mass at Cathedral-Basilica of Notre-Dame de Quebec ?

21 replies to this topic
Montreal
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

October is still too early to know what restaurant will be opened at that time. Check back on Google or their website in December.

You can contact the church staff directly by email.: http://holydoorquebec.ca/en/contact-us

or check back the schedule in December https://www.notre-dame-de-quebec.org/home

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Hi Josee19963,

Thank you for your feedback. That's very kind of you.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,934 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Both are terrific restaurants but I don't think of either when I think of kids. You can see their menus on line. Le Continental is more classic French cuisine.

How old are your children?

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Well I will go with my usual speil about the Québécois customs pertaining Christmas. We used to be very Catholic and would go to Midnight Mass and back home for a "réveillon" i.e. a big supper in the middle of the night nwith traditional dishes and many drinks. Next day (Christmas) is thus very slow...

Nowadays not everybody is going to Midnight mass, which is often at 10 p.m. now but it is still the largest family reunion of the year. Think Thanksgiving in the US.

Also with the réveillons no locals will go to a restaurant that Eve and they will close early so their staff can go home, change and attend the family réveillons.

OK that said I just read today that Chez Muffy has been voted best restaurant in Canada by TA but then looking for it on the Québec City restaurant page I found it at #14! TA is weird some times!

Anyways this used to be called Panache and was really high end but they changed the style to be more accomodating for families and for locals that don't go to the overpriced touristic places. So now, the cuisine is a bit more straightforward, a bit less expensive, more "convivial" as we say in French and they have a children menu! but the orientationis still farm to table with the freshest food products of the area.

On the website it says that they have set seatings at night at 4 different times. My guess is that if they are open on Christmas Eve they will offer only the first two servings, at 6h and 6h30 pm.

Check with them: https:/…

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

It's a bit weird. I didn't scroll the different menus list all the way down and just discovered that Chez Muffy has a Christmas Eve special menu!

Don't know if it will be a réveillon supper or served earlier and don't know how childrens will be welcome then. Just reach them, it seems that GM is very proactive.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Hi JDP112456,

Our children are 7 and 5 years old.

Since we are coming from Indonesia, we would like to try the local French Cuisines.

Hi RICKB,

We are also a small Catholic family and always have a simple Christmas Brunch while we are at home.

On Christmas Eve my wife and I usually go to Church.

But, the feeling will be different when we are in Quebec City - it will be awesome :)

It does not matter for us if no restaurants are opened on that date, we perfectly understand.

So, Brunch on Christmas Day is also perfectly fine for us :)

May I check with you, is Chez Muffy restaurant located in Auberge Saint-Antoine Hotel ?

Should we make an advance reservation concerning the restaurant might be so crowded with the locals and tourists alike ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Please note that we are not French. Only in France,you will get local french food.

We are Canadian and we eat our local cuisine... mostly has nothing to do with French cuisine.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Hi Josee19963,

I am very sorry, do not intend to insult any Canadians.

Anyway, thank you for correcting me :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Well Josee was a bit stern. Ouf local chefs have classical French cuisine thrining but then add their own family traditions and personal riffs on their menus. So at home we don't eat French dishes so often but in restaurants we expect a bit of both. For example there is a fade that doesn't seems to disappear about tartare, almost all upscale restaurants seems to offer them and there is nothing remotedly Québécois about that! In fact it is more Belgian than French actually.

As per Chez Muffy yes it is the restaurant of Auberge Saint-Antoine, rebranded as it is used to be more high end but their Christmas Eve menu is very high end if I read the menu well. It will not be jam packed for sure, as I wrote Québécois eat "en famille" then.

If you don't mind a straightforward simple meal with the kids then you could go to Saint-Hubert, a local chain of rotisserie chicken but they have everything but the kitchen sink on the menu. There is one on Grande Allée. If you want to taste traditional food like what it will be served in the families then you could go to Aux Anciens Canadiens. I am sure that it will be open at least up to 8 pm.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants on Christmas Eve

Hi RICKB,

Thank you so much for your response. I am so impressed with your knowledge. Two thumbs up for you :)

It seems Aux Anciens Canadiens is quite traditional with a classic ambiance. Have read its menu and looks so good and it does have Kid's Menu. In terms of the price - not too pricey.

By the way, if I want to reserve for a table at one of those restaurants, could I just send an e-mail or should I make a phone call ?

Reply to: Restaurants on Christmas Eve
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted