We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Clothing

3 posts
Save Topic
Winter Clothing

Hi, I’m going to be at University in Quebec City during the winter months and I have some questions about suitable clothing.

1. Coat: Is the important criteria warmth, or does the type/style of coat matter too? Are there suggestions about hoods? So if I bought at 800 goose down coat such as this (patagonia.com/product/…)

and wore it with a beanie/tuque, would I be ok?

Would 600 goose down be sufficient too? and should it be thigh length?

2. Boots: Am I correct in saying they must be waterproof and fur lined because of deep snow? Also they need to have good tread. Are waterproof hiking boots what I should be searching for? Timberlands aren’t appropriate. Would I be wearing these shoes everyday? Is Sorel the best brand to go for?

3. Layering: Would I be able to stay warm if I wore wicking tshirts, any sweatshirt/hoodie and then a warm coat from above? In my lecture rooms it would be fairly warm so this would be mainly to walk outside. But would I need another layer if I were to walk around the city for a day?

I plan to wear warm thermal tights/long johns under my trousers but are waterproof trousers necessary?

Best Seller
Quebec City and Montmorency Falls Day...
1,424 Reviews
from $91.10*
Best Seller
Montmorency Falls and...
892 Reviews
from $45.50*
Best Seller
Quebec Old City Walking Tour with...
677 Reviews
from $24.54*
7 replies to this topic
Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Clothing

Where are you coming from? You will be hot in class if you dress up like that!

3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Clothing

I wouldnt wear the coat in class. Just boots, trousers, wicking tee and a sweat.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
25,219 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Clothing

As Lee Jaye notes, it would be extremely helpful if you added your location to your profile, or at the least say where you are coming from. It gives us a general idea of what types of winter temperatures you are accustomed to and whether you are overdoing your estimation of what you will need.

Most buildings in Canada are extremely well heated in winter ... thermal tights would not be required.

As for your coat, you'll want one that covers your rear end. Boots do not need to be fur lined ... just lined. And yes, with a good tread and waterproof. Sorels are a good option.

Edited: 10:07 pm, October 16, 2017
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Clothing

I come from the U.K., London, where winters don’t usually drop below zero.

Thank you very much for your advice

Gaspesie Region...
Level Contributor
2,207 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Clothing

I remember listening to a Mexican complaining about the heat indoors in the winter time. His exact words were "It doesn't drop below 5C in Mexico, so we don't have central heating. Canadians overheat their buildings"

Wear your normal clothes, and get a coat, hat, gloves. I would buy boots in Quebec - if you want something specific, you can order it online. Bring thermals in case you go snowshoeing or skiing, but it is unlikely you will need them on a daily basis. Snowpants are only useful for outdoor activities where you fall down in the snow a lot (boarding, skiing, etc). Winters here can be crisp and cold, but tend to be less damp, so the net effect is pleasant.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,642 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Clothing

Because you will be spending time indoor and outdoor the best is to layer. And a hood on your jacket is a good idea in case there is wind and that's above your tuque or hat that cover's your ears (ears fall off when frozen-joke)

Bring a scarf to cover your face in case it's windy.

Boots need to be insulated. Hiking boots would be ok if they are insulated (toes fall off when frozen-joke)

The key to the top layers be they pants or jackets is wind proof.

Coming from the UK you will love our sunny crispy winter days, nothing like sun shining on fresh snow which reflects as crystals or diamonds. brrrrr and do not rub your nose if you freeze it (noses fall off when frozen-joke)

Edited: 11:19 am, October 17, 2017
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Clothing

Hi I live in Quebec city and I go to Laval University and I am from South America. What really impressed me about Quebec is that there is a lot of snow, and even though there are underground tunnels to walk during winter at the campus of the university , you will still have to walk a lot outdoors in the city or to get the bus, so the most important thing is to buy boots that are waterproof and that could resist to low temperatures, I bought a down coat that cost me like 100 dolarsCA and it works very well. As everyone else here said everything here is heated, so at your classes and at the mall or even inside the bus you will be at 25 degrees so I usually wear very light clothes under my coat to be comfortable during classes, the problem is you cannot always take off your boots so I recommend you to bring two types of socks ones in case you want to go take a walk (there are very nice parks here) and others for your regular days. You also will need knit gloves,a knit hat and scarfs here you can find very cheap ones if you don't want to bring a lot of things. I don't think you will need tights unless you want to do some outdoors sports ( I have never used them and I saw lot of friends complaining about them ) I would suggest you to bring only the necessary and see how the winter suits you, there are some people that wear a lot of clothes and there are others like my husband who only need a good jacket haha, then if you think you need more things it's easier to find specialized clothes here and usually is cheaper.

Reply to: Winter Clothing
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted