We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

Colorado
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

We will be there this September and would like help with the best place to stay. Any opinions will help. Thxs.

Brantford, Ontario
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

I do not think that the Chateau Frontenac is worth the extra money. It is very expensive and you don't get a lot for your money (room wise that is). It is definately a cool hotel and I would recommend going in to take a look but the Chateau Laurier which is located right outside the wall around the city and is reasonably priced and very clean and the staff is very friendly.

Hope this helps. Have a nice vacation

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Chateau Laurier
Hotel Chateau Laurier
1,623 Reviews
Quebec City, Canada
Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
185 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

I would agree with the previous post that the Frontenac is not worth the extra money. I would recommend staying either within the walls or just outside or in the lower town. Why not use Trip Advisor and read the many reviews for the top 10 hotels - the Frontenac is #15.

northern Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto, Quebec City
Level Contributor
5,178 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

Hello.

Check out the Hotel Dominion on this site. I would highly recommed it. It is a gorgeous place and very clean, relaxing and close enough to pretty much walk everywhere. Check out the Candid Travel photos on the following link and there are several pictures to give you an idea.

One idea would be to stay somewhere else and go to the Frontenac for dinner and a tour. Good luck.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g155033-d155626…

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,827 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

I just stayed at the Frontenac for $119 per night, and yes I would say it was worth the "extra money" . I'm not trying to be smart, but the hotel does offer some terrific deals, it is in the heart of everything, the food is great, and while many consider it a little tired, if great service and views are what you might like, then I would highly recommend it. As for the price, $119 is probably not available in September, but do join the Fairmont's President's club which leads you to some great deals. There is no cost to join. Enjoy.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
884 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

I agree with northerndecorator, that the Hotel Dominion 1912 is the best hotel in Quebec City. Even not considering price, I prefer it to the Chateau Frontenac. In my opinion, the Frontenac was much more welcoming when it was under the management of Canadian Pacific Hotels. Now, under the Fairmount banner, it has lost much of its appeal. My husband and I and friends used to routinely stay at the CF until the change. Since the change, once was enough. We even heard staff members were treated much better under CP. The Frontenac is a stunning building and as much a skyline icon as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris, but you don't have to feel you missed anything by not staying there.

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Eiffel Tower
Eiffel Tower
119,432 Reviews
Paris, France
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
6. Re: Chateau Frontenac worth the extra money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, August 17, 2009