We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston-Montreal road trip

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medellin, Colombia
Level Contributor
295 posts
Save Topic
Boston-Montreal road trip

Any route sugestions.....stops? Travelling with wife two kids(11 and 17) from Colombia....July 1 2005

Williamsburg, VA
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston-Montreal road trip

YES! Stop in the Adirondacks - you can take 87 north all the way from the Adirondacks to Montreal. Head to Albany, NY from Boston (there's nothing in-between) and then north on 87 to the Lake Placid/Saranac Lake/Adirondack region. From there, it's only about 2 1/2 hours to Montreal (just take 87N). The Adirondacks are nature at its best. It's one of the most beautiful lake/mountain regions you will ever see. To avoid tourists, I would suggest staying in Saranac Lake instead of Lake Placid. Most of the hotels in Saranac Lake are on Lake Flower and offer water activities like kayaking, canoeing, or paddle boats. If you go to Saranac Lake, you should eat at Morgan's Eleven on Main Street.

Boston Area
Level Contributor
216 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston-Montreal road trip

Taking the I-87 route will take you "forever." If you are looking for a more direct route, take 93 to 89.....keep going until you reach the border. Great stops along the way in Vermont. Stop off at Ben & Jerrys in Waterbury. The kids will love that!

Vermont
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston-Montreal road trip

Go I -91 through Vermont. Stop in St. Johnsbury, home of the Fairbanks Museum and the Atheneum and then head up to the Jay peak area in the Northeast Kingdom. Stay at an affordable vacation rental in Montgomery Center, North Troy or Alpine Haven and discover fishing for rainbow trout in the rivers, kids jump off glacier rocks into crystal clear swimming holes, cycle, hike the Green Mountains, kayak....anything and everything is here in the Jay Peak area.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
48 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston-Montreal road trip

From Boston to Montreal, your fastest route is 93N out of Boston to 89N. That brings you to Phillipsburg in Quebec. Stay on that road (I think it's 132). When you hit Autoroute 10, take it westbound over Champlain to get to Montreal.

Depending on the time of day when you leave, you may want to stop in West Lebanon, NH, the last exit before you hit Vermont (Exit 20) - tons of restaurants. Another good exit for restaurants is the exit for Burlington, in Vermont. Take exit 14E to head to the restaurants, or 14W if you want to see the scenic lakefront in Burlington.

When in Vermont, if you're fans of ice cream, you can head to the Ben & Jerry's factory tour. They're located in Waterbury, VT, right off the highway (I-89) at exit 10. Head towards Stowe.

Speaking of Stowe, the Von Trapp Family Lodge is in Stowe (the Von Trapps from "The Sound of Music").

If you want to take a side trip while heading up 93, head north on Rt. 3 into New Hampshire, to the Everett Turnpike. (The Everett meets back up with I-93 in Hooksett, NH, before you pick up I-89.) In Merrimack, NH, you can visit the Budweiser factory, and on the first Saturday of every month, you can visit the famous Kleidsdales.

Once in Montreal, there are tons of things to see. For July, you may be in time for the Benson & Hedges International Fireworks Competition. You may be able to see some Just for Laughs/Juste Pour Rire comedy festival. You may be there for the Jazz Festival. Visit Old Montreal when the weather is nice - summer is wonderful at the Old Port. If you like amusement parks, there's Six Flags Montreal (formerly LaRonde). In July, if you head to the Laurentians (up Autoroute 15, north and off the island), you can go to water slide parks. My recommendation is St. Sauveur. I'm not sure of the exit, though. But you'll want to take the exit for either Aqua Parc St. Sauveur or Piste de Ski St. Sauveur. (I think it's the first exit after the McDonald's restaurant after you pass through St. Jerome). If you're a chocolate fan, there's a Cadbury factory in Ste. Adele, just up the road from St. Sauveur.

If you stay in Montreal, ride the metro (tourists seem to marvel at how clean it is), visit the "underground city" (which is a large shopping mall linked to other shopping malls underground), head to the old Olympic Park - some of the buildings are still as they were built, others have changed into the Biodome (4 climates under one roof: tropical rainforest, desert, arctic, and temperate forest, if I'm not mistaken). In Old Montreal, visit the Notre Dame Basillica (the front is a scaled down replica of the one in Paris). If you head up the mountain, visit St. Joseph's Oratory (the domed church you see on the mountain).

If you head out along I-90 (the Mass Pike) to I-87 in Albany, that brings you up through New York State, but is a long way around.

Oh, and July 1 is Canada Day, so you'll likely fairly easily see fireworks displays :)

I think I'm done now ;)