We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

splitting my time

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans
Level Contributor
41 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
splitting my time

I would like help on deciding on itinerary for Montreal/Quebec City, smaller cities. I will have a car, since I am driving from NYC. Need advise on how to divide up a week. How many days to spend in Montreal and Quebec City and do I have time for driving through the Laurentians.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: splitting my time

It depends on what you prefer to do. Quebec City is better for scenery, it is quiet and has a lot of old world charm but can be rather touristy at times and not a whole lot goes on at night.

Montreal is a more cosmopolitan city with some elements of old world culture but mixed with a large, modern city with lots of nightlife and a larger selection of things to do/see.

hope this helps.

Williamsburg, VA
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: splitting my time

I would suggest driving through the Adirondacks in NY instead of the Laurentians b/c the Adirondacks won't take you out of your way. To get there from NYC, you should take 87N, which is the highway you'll use to get to Montreal anyway. You can make a day trip of the Laurentians if you want - the mountains are about two hours outside of Montreal - I would suggest stopping at Mont Tremblant for a night.