We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lake picnic

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
614 reviews
Save Topic
lake picnic

We want to go have a picnic and a dip in a lake that is within close driving distance from downtown montreal. Any ideas?

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lake picnic

In Oka.. www.sepaq.com/pq/oka/index.dot?language_id=1

or closer in Parc Jean Drapeau... artificial lake. parcjeandrapeau.com/en/…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
89 posts
614 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lake picnic

Txs, never been to oka and pjq is artificial and too crowded.

Looking for quieter small lake that could be 45 min tops drive away.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: lake picnic

Hmmm... the problem with a nice quiet lake is knowing which ones have access to them if you're not renting a chalet -- I remember a few lakes in the Eastern Townships I'd go to with my friends and swim but couldn't tell you where they were, alas.

As a compromise: there are a few places you can swim right here in Montréal that not many people know about that are in parks, so people yes but you could find a more private place perhaps to picnic away from the beach: Cap Saint-Jacques has a small beach, as does the Bois-de-l'Île-Bizard, and another one in Sainte-Catherine on the south shore.

Edited: 5:00 pm, August 10, 2014
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lake picnic

Cap st Jacques beach, but it is not a lake.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: lake picnic

Sigh... Platipus, I sometimes wonder, in your posts such as this one where you point out things that are wrong on a technicality, how it helps the OP, but in this case you happen to be wrong on your technicality: Cap Saint-Jacques and Île-Bizard's beaches are both on Lac-des-deux-Montagnes; Sainte-Catherine's beach is artificial and separated from the Saint Lawrence river by a thin strip of land.

I admit these three options do not give the same experience as a small lake in the Laurentians or the Eastern Townships. Alas, this question is hard for us in Montréal to answer since it requires quite specific knowledge of areas outside of Montréal -- a lake that has public access so they can swim and, say, a picnic table or nice clearing for a picnic. I am convinced that there are many areas which would be perfect for the OP wants; do I know of them? Alas, no. I, like many Montrealers, tend to go to lakes where our (or our friends') chalets are. But I do know of these other options, which is why I added them to the suggestions, although they are a compromise, as I said.

Perhaps the OP can check with the Infotouriste office downtown -- they may not know the answer offhand, but I bet if you asked early in your trip and gave them a chance to do some research, they could find an answer.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lake picnic

I don't know the South Shore so well but I know the North Shore and I have difficulty finding possibilities that are within the 45 minutes driving allotment.

So I would suggest Oka too and if you want it a bit more quiet you can walk a bit to get to the semi nudist area!

7. Re: lake picnic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 14, 2015