We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Car theft is rampant in Montreal. Be ware of who you hand your keys to; especially the Valet. The Fairmont has a valet service that is not Fairmont owned. It is another company. Note: keep your keys and lock your own car. Trust no one.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

I've been parking dowtown for 15 years and never had an issue. Perhaps you were unlucky.

Re: Fairmont: my understanding is that most, if not all, hotels don't own their valet service. I stay at the Ritz and the Four Seasons and it's the same thing there...

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Platipus: Unlucky is not the appropriate word here. How about being set up? I have been parking downtown at the Queen Elizabeth for over 15 years. Perhaps it is the vehicle I had been driving that "they" wanted so badly. Perhaps Metropolitan Parking is comprised of thugs? Although, you would think a Jaguar would have been just as desireable, as that is the vehicle I had been using prior to my experience of theft. May I ask what vehicle you have been parking that has made you so lucky?

One more note, please do not minimize ones experience of theft. It has been one of the most horrific experiences for me on serveral different levels that I will not go into on this site as it not apprpriate. Would you minimize a rape victim? Well that is how I feel. So please. Be kind. When someone experiences something negative, until you have walked in their shoes, be kind.

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
279 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Well, Enzo, it's like saying to people "don't go to visit New York, there's been a murder there in 1982". These things happen anywhere, there's no particular reason to be worried about leaving your car in a parking lot in Montreal. Sorry about your bad experience, but it's certainly not that common.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

I agree with the previous post. I drive a Lexus. Cars like Honda Accord are among the most stolen. It is true that Montreal has a higher car theft rate than Toronto, but I' m sure that it's lower than NYC!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

It is easier said than done.

I think MyEnzo1 has a point and people should NOT ridicule him by denying the facts just because we love Montreal. The analogy that 'don't go to New York because there was a murder in 1982' is certainly not correct and its like ridiculing him.

Get your facts right, read the reports and see for yourself how many car thefts take place in Canada and you will be shocked to read that Montreal's percentage is the highest. They say that Montreal is the car theft capital of Canada and Dorval airport is the worst place after Rockland Centre.

Yes, murders take place in every city and car thefts happen everywhere BUT that is only NEWS for us. When it actually happens to us that is an EXPERIENCE. If one of your relatives or a close friend gets murdered in N.Y. you will have a different feeling about that place, if you are mugged at gun point that that is an experience for you. Forget about car theft, if your own Lexus or BMW is vandalized you'll have a different feeling. MyEnzo had a bad, bad experience on losing his Jaguar and he doesn't need to be ridiculed.

Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
79 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Very diplomatic Jak. It's horrible to have your belongings stolen. But speaking as someone who recently had their home raided and vandalized (a much more invasive violation), I would NEVER make even a passing comparison to rape victims....the sarcastic NYC comment was hardly below the belt, don't you think?

Good luck Enzo on sorting out the car situation, hope it doesn't color your view of mtl too poorly.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

MG - I expressed my feelings in a plain realistic manner whereas, diplomats think twice before saying nothing. :-) Yeah, you are right its certainly below everything ;-)

I have travelled almost all over the world and hired cars, RV's and SUV's and the only place my car got vandalized not once, but twice was in my hometown, Montreal. Its the shock, grief and anger that stays with you for sometime. A few years ago there was a break-in (burglary) at my place, a few small electronic items were stolen like digital camera, DVD etc. thats nothing in comparison to the shock and anger that someone intruded in to your privacy and turned everything upside down. It took me a few months to get over with that feeling. Still I don't want to live anywhere else, still I love MontreaI 'coz its my home. I am sure Enzo is hurt emotionally and going through the same kinda feelings right now. Only time will heal the wounds.

Like MG says, hope it will not colour your view about Montreal, I would like to say the same.....all the best anyways. :-)

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

Everyone makes some very good points. But until you experience something as horrific as I have you will never understand. Every city has crime. I know that. It is unrealistic to think that you are imprevious to crime. However, when you are mistreated by the police of Montreal (Who seemed to be involved) and by the Hotel Queen Elizabeth. I was told by the Montreal police that there is a car stolen every 5 minutes! UGH!

It is important for me to voice my experience:

IF I CAN SAVE SOMEONE ELSE FROM THIS PAIN, THEN MY MISSION IS COMPLETE.

As far as Montreal, the city I once called my second home, is no more. I cannot even consider visiting that city. I has changed so much. I saw many more beggers. I saw more people smoking pot then ever. What I saw is a changed city in my eyes.

I wish those who visit this city best of luck. But do check the stats before you visit a city. Don't take for granted that since you have been there for 15 years, that the city is the same.

By the way, it wasn't a Jaguar that was stolen. It was an H2.

Thanks for listening and good luck to you in Montreal. You will need it.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

If you are not joking, you should seek medical attention.

New York
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Those Taking their Cars to Montreal - Beware

JAK1234, It must be hard for you to experience that type of violation on your property especially since it is where you live. I am fortunate, that where I live it is low crime and safe for families to live. I guess that the experiences we have make us stronger. Eh?

I am in the midst of writing a screen play based on my experience. I hope to include the names of the Cities, Hotels, Valet and everyone if legally I can.

It was once said that in order for someone to write, they first need perspective. On the contrary. It is writing about my experiences that gives me perspective.

Thanks for your kindness and compassion.

Enzo