We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foodie girls shopping weekend

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Foodie girls shopping weekend

In about a week, we'll be in Mntreal for two and a half days - 4 girls. We're leaving our foodie hubbies behind. We're looking for the following;

1. Area to stay. Last time I was in Montreal (many moons ago), we stayed in Vieux Montreal. We'll have a car, so we can drive/park anywhere. We want safe, quiet and some character or neighborhood. We were even considering a nicer university residence.

2. Foodie experiences not to miss. We may want to do one meal (Au Pied de Cochon?) The rest are quick bites and eating to go (for sure want crepes, bagels, poutine)

3. Foodie souvenirs to take home; we promised hubbies a Montreal meal when we get home that night. We'll have a large cooler.

4. Shopping suggestions: outlets, we know about Rue St. Catherine, stores specific to Montreal/Quebec the province, plus size shopping for some, inexpensive kitchenware/housewares from France/Spain/Italy.

5. 18th Century market: worth it or not?

6. We'll be going to Jean Talon...any treats or purchases not to miss.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

1- You should aim for Vieux Montréal or Hotel de l'institut.... tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155032-d183241-…

2- If you wish to go to ACDC.... you should make réservations ASAP.... if not yesterday! (Crepes are not a very popular item in Montreal... as oppose to France.)

3- Go to Marché Jean Talon... You'll find a gazillon ideas.

4- No outlets in Montréal...Shopping is usually downtown.. Inexpensive kitchenware from Europe cheap??? not happening... they are expensive, Check Arthur Quentin on St-Denis.

Plus size : Addition Elle and Pennington and La Baie.

penningtons.com/on/…

additionelle.com/on/…

and at La Baie downtown.... upstairs...somewhere.

5: ???? Where is that?

6: Check Marché des Saveurs for local products.

Pure Maple Syrup can be purchased cheaper in any grocery store (can are ususally purchased from locals ... not little touristy bottles)

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

Quebec based Simons on Ste. Catherine ... altho no plus size. Good for linens.

http://www.simons.ca/simons/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

Casse-Croute La Banquise in the Plateau for poutine!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

In Montreal, a car is generally considered a hindrance, so it is best you park your car and forget about it for the weekend. Public transport (particularly the metro) is fast and easy to use.

1. Since you are foodies, love to shop and want a neighbourhood with a bit of character, i recommend you stay around the Plateau Mont Royal area. L'Hotel de l'institut is a nice hotel and perhaps the only hotel i would recommend in that area. There are a lot of nice B&B's around. Shopping is great and has a lot of unique things to see, and this neighbourhood has a lot of fantastic, NON TOURISTY restaurants. Use urbanspoon.com to find some :)

2. Bagels, try either Saint-Viateur or Fairmount Bagel. There is a friendly fan-war about which makes the best bagel (Fairmount of course!!!) but either one is nice. Commonly eaten with cream cheese, a warm, fresh bagel will make you melt. Too many other great restaurants just to pick one. I would recommend you go to Jean-Talon Market, then go off to Alep or Petit Alep nearby for a large meal. Its great!

3. Jean-Talon Market. Just go, you'll find everything you need.

4. Take a loot at my guide on shopping spots in Montreal: tripadvisor.ca/GoListDetail-i22489-Shopping_…

If you want plus size fashion, look for stores Addition Elle, Pennington, Reitmans (plus size section), Laura. They all have modern, beautiful clothing. Most, if not all, can be found downtown along Saint-Catherine or in the malls bordering Ste-Catherine. (psst: I am not plus size, but I go often with my mom and love the jewelery at pennington. So pretty and always on sale!)

5. ?? Are you referring to that fair that they sometimes hold in Old Montreal? If so, it's an event, not a permanent thing.

6. Go to every store, imo they are all great!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

One last recommendation: There is a inexpensive underground parking at Jean-Talon market. If you are going to buy a lot of heavy groceries, you might as well bring your car. Just watch out for 1 ways in montreal. Police will give you a ticket even if you're a tourist.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

crepes...

if you are around Saint-Denis near Carre Saint-Louis there is a place right on the corner for eat in (look for the little terrace facing the park, southeast corner) In the park itself is a little kiosk that used to make crepes. I haven't been in awhile because the coffee is terrible but it's a nice setting (they have ice cream).Eat at the little tables or to go.

Go to Mile End,not just for crepes. But there's a place on Saint-Viateur somewhere between Jeanne Mance and Waverly that sells crepes, eat in or to go. That's a fun area to walk (shops, eats) so not too bad if you wander about looking for the crepe place. And it's a few metres from Saint-Viateur bagels. Carbs!!

In the Plateau, outside Mont-Royal metro station, a little west on Mont-Royal but still east of saint-Denis. Look for a sign that says Une Crepe? next to a subway sandwich shop, eat in or to go.

And if you keep walking west on Mont-Royal there's a sit down place near the corner of de Bullion street (next to Paanthere Verte-a local vegan chain). And just up the street from that is a little shop selling artsy/local made souvenirs with a Montreal theme (like a throw pillow with a photo of the Orange Julep or the airport printed on it...iconic Montreal). For junk food at a unique/kitsch setting go to the Orange Julep, since you have a car (google it first to see if you appreciate that sort of thing.

That's it for the crepes, have fun!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

"3. Foodie souvenirs to take home; we promised hubbies a Montreal meal when we get home that night. We'll have a large cooler."

Just make sure what food items you can bring back into the US I'd hate to see Foodies cry as they take some items away :)

"You must declare all food products. Failure to declare food products can result in up to $10,000 in fines and penalties."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Edited: 2:38 pm, August 07, 2014
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
19,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

For more eclectic plus size clothing options from a Canadian designer that differ from the chains noted above:

http://www.kaliyana.com/eng/

two Montreal locations: St-Denis, and an outlet locale on St.-Paul est

Edited: 2:45 pm, August 07, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

Phpr, interesting designer, thank you for sharing.

Is there a different selection (and different prices) in store?

Edited: 2:53 pm, August 07, 2014
10. Re: Foodie girls shopping weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, August 09, 2015