We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mile End!! :)

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Mile End!! :)

Hey all, just wondering if anyone has any must see or do things in the Mile End area? Any restaurant suggestions, any great thrift shops in and around that area? Also best poutine spot suggestions please Thanx :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mile End!! :)

Go to Mount-Royal street for trift shops. Start at Saint-Laurent intersection and work your way east.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mile End!! :)

Uh.... Mount-Royal street isn't in Mile End, it's the boundary officially, but really more like Rue Varennes (basically everything just north of Mount-Royal avenue that isn't ON Mount-Royal avenue.

The neighbourhood goes through a number of changes and each street may be different. For example Laurier is high end shops, fancy restaurants, patisseries and the like. Fairmount for the bagel bakery and Wilensky's. St-Viateur is a mix of Hasidic Jews, organic stores a of course St-Viateur bakery (and Cheskie's bakery). And I would say that Bernard is where you find more of a Hipster vibe along with vegan restaurants and the like.

It's not like a place for sights, it's a place to sit and enjoy the vibe. Though, getting a seat at a cafe during the day may be a bit difficult.... since they are hipster offices :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mile End!! :)

Uh. you walk a little?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mile End!! :)

Forgot the Poutine.... most famous place in town for Poutine is likely La Banquise on Rachel near Parc Lafontaine. Second most famous is likely Patati Patata, though they are small and close for construction holiday, so they aren't open until next week. But there are many places that serve it. Important rule is to make sure they have enough traffic that they receive their cheese curds daily, because curds over 24 hours old, don't squeak.

And Sylve... yes, I walk, but much more so in the upper Plateau, where I live, than in the lower Plateau where I have to run for baked goods. I was trying to be concise. I didn't mention Lester's, Boulangerie Guillaume, Hof Kelstein, Aux Vivres, Bio Terre or even Comptoir 21 :)

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mile End!! :)

Nowadays, when I hear Mile End I think "hipster" (way different from when I was a kid). If that's what you're after then I suggest going along Park Ave between Saint-Viateur and Bernard, and Bernard, and Saint-Viateur and Fairmount (parallel streets) from Saint-Laurent to Park.

For coffee: Caffe en Gamba on Park north of Fairmount; Arts Cafe on Fairmount and Esplanade, Borus on Park south of Fairmount, Olympico on Saint-Viateur and Waverly (in all guidebooks/super popular) and lots more little places along the way to these spots.

Thrift stores: it's more indie fashion now (here's a link to a recent article in our local english-language daily

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/fashion-beauty/Indie+spirit+alive+Mile+fashion+designers/9936044/story.html

I know of one thrift store on Saint-Viateur near Park, just by the Arahova restaurant (Greek fastfood, been there forever, can't miss the white, 'castle-like' exterior-just across from Saint-Viateur bagels.)

Food: there's Mexican at Tachido (look on Yelp) and next to Comptoir 21 (fish n'chips) is a cute, newish place serving a version of Colombian (I was underwhelmed by the platacones and empanadas but they have a brunch that seems worth a try). Melinas is a tiny sandwich shop on Park at Bernard.

btw, if you like thrift shops you might enjoy the flower/plant shop on Bernard near Esplanade (a neighbourhood classic run by a super nice lady-her shop caught fire a year ago or so and people in the 'hood chipped in to help her out. She had fun stuff besides plants (bird cages, wicker things) but I'm not sure how much she's been able to accumulate post-fire.

So that's a start. Walk around and you'll find tons more little places that deserve a try. Have fun!

Oh, and there are some very hipster places just off-the beaten track streets, along more industrial sections that are slowly being gentrified. Are you into that sort of thing?

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mile End!! :)

if the weather is still nice when you get here, try Kem CoBa ice cream shop, near Fairmount bagels (look for the rainbow-coloured benches and the line-up to rival the one at Schwartz's).

7. Re: Mile End!! :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 02, 2015