We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

I am planning a trip in September and want to fly into Montreal, rent a car stay 3-4 days then travel into Vermont for a few days and return the car in Manchester, NH the following Saturday. I can't find any car available at the Montreal airport for the Saturday we are arriving. This is my first time to Montreal. Is there a shortage of rental cars at the airport? Is there some other way to rent a car?

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

This message indicates that you CANNOT rent a car in Canada and leave it in the USA.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
17,614 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

Yes ... as josee notes, it's not a lack of rental cars at YUL ... it is the intent to leave the vehicle in the USA. One way cross border rentals are extremely expensive, and in many situations not allowed at all... the vehicle must be returned to Quebec somehow, and that involves expense.

You're better off renting in Quebec for the time you require, returning in Montreal, and then take a bus to Burlington where you can rent another vehicle.

You could try also to rent in YUL and return to Burlington ... the distance is not as great and it "might" be possible. Try Avis and Hertz - they often allow one-ways into the US, altho whether in Quebec, I don't know.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

FYI unless you're leaving the city, you won't need a car in Montreal...the bus/metro (subway) are very convenient and will get you everywhere you need to go. If you don't know the city well, having a car is a serious hassle due to road closures, construction, hard to find and hard to understand parking. Stick with the more convenient and cheaper metro/bus system

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
326 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

Hmmmm... I won't need a car in Montreal but I need one to see Vermont and N.H. Is the bus our only option to get into Vermont or N.H.? I've never traveled by bus, so excuse my ignorance, but won't that be difficult with luggage? Any other ideas ?

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

Take a bus to burlington airport and rent a car there. Buses allow luggage on board or in compartments. Check with Greyhound.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
323 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

are you taking a plane home/somewhere else from vermont? if so then yeah don't rent a car, take the bus from the central station downtown which does have storage for luggage and is easy to get to (it's at a large metro station)

7. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:07 am, August 13, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

The airport agencies don't allow cross border rentals. Some of those in the city will, but it may be prohibitively expensive. (The car needs to be shipped back most of the time). As pointed out, it is much cheaper to take Greyhound to Burlington airport and rent a car there with no drop-off charge (generally).

9. Re: NO car rental availability at airport in Sept.?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 15, 2015