We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal 14 day Trip

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Montreal 14 day Trip

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Montreal in May for 14 days. I already have a mini Itinerary for things to do, but I feel 14 days might be too much. I'm planning on a getaway to Quebec City as well. I'm a college student and traveling on my own. Any Suggestion on how to keep myself busy during the day? Nightlife I really have no issues figuring that part out. Main reason for my trip other than a nice deserver vacation, is to practice my French as well.

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,865 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

What are your interests? You can check the green ribbon at the top of the page for "things to do"...

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

how about a short class or even a workshop, in French.

For example, a course in art glass (no glass blowing in May but other techniques are available)

http://www.espaceverre.qc.ca/

Or a cooking class. These range from an hour or two to much longer and you can find something for all tastes.

Museums also offer lots of workshops.

You'll practice your French, meet people and learn something new.

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

I'm not much of an art person, like I can appreciate it but not the type to Actually make art. I love the European culture and French.

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

Yeah, I've already check the things to do. I'm more into sports, hiking, exploring, music (concerts, clubs, etc).

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

if you're coming with the notion that it is European here, you will imo be disappointed.

Every day (from noon on) in the summertime there is beach volleyball at Jeanne Mance park. It costs $3 to play for the day and you will be grouped with other similar level players (from beginners to hot shot duos).

It's a short walk from eastern downtown and when you get to the Intersection of Park and Pine Aves you'll see the courts.

You can try kayaking on the Lachine Canal. And this area is good for cycling (long path) and rollerblading (you can skate on parts of the track used for the Grand Prix (unless it's happening, haha). You can rent the equipment you need there.

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

Well I'm not expecting it to be like Europe, but it gives me the opportunity to practice my French while away from the family. I'm definitely going to check out those ideas you gave me, thanks!! This trip was unplanned, I was actually going to England, but circumstances changed and oh well Canada pop up haha

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

We have written extensively about the fact that Quebec is not Europe. - search the forum. It's like visiting boston to experience England and European culture.

Springville, Utah
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

Lmfaoo I have family in boston,so I know. As well I've been in a few countries in Europe. I'm not expecting an European experience. I just wanna relax, visit cultural places, practice my French and just have fun for a couple weeks.

Coronel Pringles...
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
412 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

Hi, despite I am a foreigner visiting Montreal just in May I´d like to mention that I´ve read about some Pietonisation event, an Indian Festival, some spectacles at Place des Arts, also many french theatre perfomances or perhaps the Cirque du Soleil.

Also I´d like to remember the Experts, (my best tourist guides in TAd.) the Tulips Festival in Ottawa a good chance to live a kind of Neetherland (Holland) experience. Sorry about my intrusion, I am grateful to all the guys helping me and I´d like to share some tips...mt

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
238 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreal 14 day Trip

gilbert you'll have a great time, montreal is a great place to see. how about a day trip up to tremblant? fantastic hiking. you could take a day trip to ottawa, where you can also practice your french, see the nations capital, lots to do there as well, kayaking, hiking.

a trip to quebec city would be nice as well. you'll love the old city, it has an old world, dare i say "european" flair to it (enough, its a joke). its the oldest walled city in north america and one of the best cities ive ever been in to walk around in.

you could always take a quick ride to toronto if you are out of things to do in montreal.

depending when you are there often there are lots of things going on downtown around place des arts, comedy, jazz, lots of fun things.

montreal is an amazing city, and lots of things to do outdoors. car would be nice, but not essential for seeing some of that.

let me know if you have any questions and above all have a good time.

TC