We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
66 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

I will be staying in a Plateau B and B on Laval..Dwtn B and B network venue. just wondering is it easy to meet people in montreal as a solo female traveler or do people look at you like you have 3 eyes eating alone or going to the theater alone? looks like my friend may be MIA during that time so I'll have a character building experience:) do tango lessons at the old port need to reserved? do you need a partner or do they provide you with one? definitely love being able to do what I want during the day but at night it's nice to eat with someone else or go to a bar with friends (about the only time being alone can suck).

Thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

"do tango lessons at the old port need to reserved? do you need a partner or do they provide you with one."

bettina it takes two to tango ;-) I can join you if you wish to. But thats another thing that you have to wear steel toe constructions boots while dancing with me. :-) Jokes aside, yeah its better you reserve your time with them. And trust me Montreal is full of nice good looking people, therefore no one would be staring at you. Sometimes even celebrities pass by and no one notices them.... rather no one cares. So, relax when you are in Montreal

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

I would say that you will not have any problems eating alone almost eanywheree. But here's two suggestion that can be interesting for you. Swarchtz (Charcuterie Hébraique de Montréal) is an institution, serving Montreal's own smoked meat (our version of pastrami) in a hectic environment on busy Saint-Laurent boulevard; have a seat at the counter (normally no waiting for a stool or very little while there can be long lines for the tables) and you might chat with with your neighbours. L'Express on Saint-Denis is probably the epitome of the French Bistro in Montreal and also a must place for local artists and othe personalities. Again there is a counter there that is a little separated from the main action but you can still see all the coming and going and, of course try to chat with your neighbours. Plus the waitstaff is very nice, which cannot be said of the ones at Schwartz.

As for theatre be warned that most of the shows in Montreal are in French; only tro companies present English shows: the Centaur and the Saydie Bronfman center. In French there is a lot of theater going around but your best bets will be the Théâtre du Nouveau Monde, la Compagnie Jean Duceppe and the Théâtre du Rideau Vert. which all present classics in beautiful productions that are sometimes very interestingly directed. Check their programs and if one classic strikes you and is playing during your stay, buy the English translation in advance and read it so you will know what it is all about. Usine C is home to many companies that present avant-garde shows that are sometimes with not so many words or not at all and also invites some visiting companies with shows in English. In none of these places will you be stared at if you are alone.

If you are a classical music fan do not miss an evening concert with the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, one of the best in the world. I Musici de Montréal is a string ensemble also world famous that plays regular concert in a concert hall but also mid-day and late afternoon concerts in Tudor Hall, an intimate venue located, strangely on the top floor of the Ogilvy department store. Those events are real gems: they serve wine before the concert starts and you wil be able to chat with people mingling around.

On the total opposite you could get naughty and go to a Chippendale style strip club (but more risqué), women usually goes in group but they are used to single females and the atmosphere is very much party time and you may get chummy with other girls easily (not counting the dancers who can get very chummy for a price...) . Classiest and with the best dancers is Club 281.

Enjoy your stay!

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

I am also visiting Montreal this week, however just for the day of August 9. If you're interested in some company in the afternoon (maybe for lunch), feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

4. Re: Tango lessons, theater, tips for solo F traveler in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 16, 2009