We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montreal with children

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Villanova...
8 posts
Save Topic
montreal with children

trying to plan a family vacation with 4 adult children and 3 grandkids...young...22 months, 3 years old, and 3 months.

Is Montreal realistic with such young children? Planning for mid July. Kids live in CA.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montreal with children

Realistic in what sense? People here have kids, too.

What are you concerns?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: montreal with children

Montreal is a world class city , no worries about children....take them to the biodome for sure!

Villanova...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: montreal with children

They have to fly from CA so it is a haul..is there enough to do with little ones and is it easy to get around ? public transortation ? ( we will be dragging with strollers etc etc).

thanks!

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montreal with children

Travelling with young children is always more demanding but many families here live in the city without a car and use public transport everyday. I would add that your grandkids are pretty young to "enjoy" anything ... visit the Biodome to see animals.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montreal with children

I often see people with strollers on public transit but it probably is best to avoid rush hours, especially if you have more than one stroller.

You sound very hesitant and I think I would be too when considering such a long flight with several children. But the city itself is fine for visiting with kids. Whether you're up for it, only you can say.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: montreal with children

...and I would suggest staying somewhere outside of the downtown core or Old Montréal, which are both convenient and have the majority of hotels but are more geared to businesspeople or tourists (well, adult tourists :). Oh, you'll still be exploring them when you're here, but, for example, if you stayed in the Plateau neighbourhood, perhaps close to Parc Lafontaine, you'd have the kids playground on the north side (although perhaps even the 3-year-old is too young to be climbing stuff...) but they will like the ducks in the water and dogs and squirrels and other families hanging around, rather than boring parks with only benches filled with businesspeople eating their lunches.

In terms of exploring Montréal: well, almost all métro stations have a flight of steps down to the platforms, but escalators to street level. All busses are low-floor and have a space for strollers (the seat that folds up facing the back door, and it's invariably taken by someone but you can point to the sign and insist if no-one offers you a seat, which can happen although people are generally pretty polite here and offer seats to women struggling with babies and strollers and such).

The downside of Montréal, at least its inner neighbourhoods compared to its suburbs, is that it's older and not car-based, so public transit really is the way to explore it. The upside is that it's so much prettier and more interesting than the suburban sprawl, with nice shopping streets that connect nicely, pretty parks here and there, nice tree-lined residential streets with those winding outside staircases, a more European feel to the city plus things are all in French making it feel more exotic but most everyone speaks English making it easy to visit, lots of outdoor patios, and a nice relaxed pace that encourages taking life easy.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: montreal with children

I will disagree with Tristou about the hotel location. The best kid freindly hotel is Le Square Philips downtown that offers full kitchens, free breakfast and a nice rooftop pool. Plus there is a plethora of kid friendly restaurants around , even a McDonald's and a Burger King very close by. Also I am sure that the concierge will be able to find a babysitter if the adults want to take a night off.

Of course no real parks nearby, just the eponymous square in front of the hotel but the Mc Gill University green is not far.

The problem that I see though is the many strollers using public transit. Not so bad for the métro (subway) outside the rush hours even if you encounter a flight of stairs here and there but many strollers in the same bus will be total pandemonium and the drivers might even refuse to allow more than one. So you will have to spread your group over a few buses.

As per what to see I will suggest a whole day in the East End to visit the Biodome but also the Botanical Garden and the Insectarium, even go up the Olympic Tower. And you can go there directly by the méro so no worries about multiple buses.

As for the rest It will be more of a question of visiting adult things with the kids tagging along as they are too young to appreciate a lot.

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,709 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: montreal with children

The biosphere (not the biodome) would be perfect: water related exibits, great for 3 years old. The higher levels offer a great view of Montreal, great for adults and after, there is a playground nearby, great for everyone. This is a summer activity.

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: montreal with children

I'm going to disagree with Tristou, as well. Stay in the neighborhood where you plan to do most of your sightseeing. (but not near the biodome!)

I think my neighborhood is great (the Plateau) but you'll surely want to spend time downtown and at the Old Port. I often walk to both from the western edge of the Plateau neighborhood but I don't have three small children with me. And if you choose to stay in the Plateau, know that some areas can be quite far from a metro station requiring a long walk or a bus ride.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: montreal with children

I also think that downtown and Old Montreal are the best places for you (hehe sorry Tristou). Sine you have stroller and children, you should stay in the neighbourhoods you will spend the most time in. This will reduce transport and kid related "accidents" which might require you to return to your room.

Yes there are many business type hotels so i would avoid them and go with a more children friendly hotel. Square Philips hotel is a great choice. Embassy Suites as well and Springhill Suites in Old Montreal are also good (the later will be more economical).

Best of luck!