We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roadtrip to Montreal

docmizz
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Roadtrip to Montreal

Hello there!

I am planning a road trip from Washington DC.

We are really open to any ideas but we are currently thinking about going to Berlington VT then continuing on to Montreal.

We would be taking the trip starting May 12th and have 7 days.

Do you all have any suggestions for general logistics of the trip?

Any cool towns or sights to see on the way? Nice drives? Any awesome natural spaces?

Cool places to stay in Montreal?

If it makes any difference, we love the nature & outdoors, walkable/quirky towns or places with character, cool urban spaces & vegan food.

I would love to hear any suggestions you all may have!

Thank you!

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
14,222 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

hi

you may want to post the same question on the Road Trip forum. tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Trip…

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

Hi can I automatic post the same thing to my Facebook?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

You could try the Ben and Jerry's factory tour which is near Burlington, VT and try the Vermonster!

docmizz
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

thanks for the thoughts everyone!

i am open to any other suggestions as well!

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

Check out the Burlington and Stowe forums. Both towns are worth a visit. The Notch at Smugglers notch is very cool indeed as is the toll road on Stowe mountain.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

You might want to consider staying in the Plateau neighbourhood. It's trendy, young, charming, and walking distance to all of the downtown attractions. Plus you have the Botanical Gardens, Parc de Maisonneuve and Mont Royal itself within a short walk. Just be aware that some parts of the area can be a bit rougher than others, not dangerous, just seedy. (In Montreal you need never really be afraid to walk around after dark!) So pick your accommodations carefully. They have some wonderful bed and breakfasts in the area.

Plus the Plateau is the sort of place where you can find vegan food easily, with lots of little shops, cafes, and boutique type hotels.

The Old Port of Montreal might be a good alternative as well, however it can be pricey, touristy, and lacks a lot of the charm of the Plateau.

Around the Montreal area there are a bunch of nice little towns to explore as well. Chambly is very pretty, and they have a bike path that stretches from Montreal's South Shore to the town.

Enjoy your trip!

J

docmizz
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

thanks Montravelguy!!!!

I'll definitely check out Plateau neighbourhood, Old Port and the smaller towns like Chambly.

Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

For a place to stay try AirBnB, you can rent an entire place or a room in someones place who can help you with getting around the city, and it's all usually well priced. We used it when we went Toronto.

Heres the link:

https://www.airbnb.com/…

I would probably suggest the Plateau area for a more Montreal experience, but definitely make a trip to the Old Port, it's well worth a walk around.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,607 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

Do not ever use airbnb or vrbo in Montreal. It simply dies not work here and most of the pla e advertised on those sites are illegal in Quebec where rentals to tourist for less than thirty days have to be inspected and rated by the government.

Currently the government is cracking down on these illegal rentals. The lodging on the bonjourquebec website is all legal, but the search engine is very clunky and choices are very limited,

Virginia
Level Contributor
203 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Roadtrip to Montreal

We are going to Montreal around the same time from the DC area. I looked into Watkins Glen Park in the Finger Lakes Region. It looks like a great outdoors stop if you haven't been.