We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hour layover, suggestions?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
10 hour layover, suggestions?

Hello everyone,

On our way back to Vancouver we have a 10 hour layover, and I was wondering if this was enough time to do some sight-seeing. I'd rather see one attraction and really enjoy it, rather than try to do too much at once. Any recommendations? Would it be worth it, or should we stick to staying at the airport? We intend to take a taxi both ways, if possible.

Thank you!

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,634 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

One way by taxi to downtown is 40$ +tip. It takes 20-25 minutes to downtown. More time during rush hour.

The time you will get to sightsee will depend on the time of day you will travel to and from downtown.

If it's your first time in Montréal, you might have time a quick tour of Old Montréal.

You still need to be at the airport at least 90 minutes prior your departure to clear security.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

I believe you have enough time. Even with traffic, using the bus and coming back a good 2 hours before your flight that leaves you with 6h of exploring.

It would be good to know what day of the week and time you land in Montreal.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

Ah, I'm glad we might have enough time!

We'll be landing on Saturday, May 3rd at 8 AM, and our flight departs at 6:25 PM

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

Oh then it's perfect, you will have no traffic and stores/museums/restaurants will be open. I suggest you go to Old Montreal. You can take a taxi (40$+tip for the group each way) or bus 747 (10$ pp unlimited metro and bus). 747 Bus is about 45 min but only takes you downtown and Latin Quarters. Taxi is more expensive but more practical.

Stores will open around 10am-noon depending on the boutique.

Have fun!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,630 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

Well just ask your cab driver to drop you off at Notre-Dame Basilica and visit that place first and then walk around to sightsee Old Montréal and find a restaurant somewhere around.

In the same area you could even have time to visit Pointe-a-Caillieres Museum of Archeology to learn a bit about the history of the city. Oh and this just reminds me that the restaurant at PaC is good and offers nice views so might be good for a late saturday brunch.

Also don't buy the smaltz about set prices being only to and from hôtels. It is a flat rate, as mentioned, for the whole center of the city: downtown, Old Montréal and Latin Quarter.

Vancouver, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

This is going to be the best layover I've ever had, I'm positive. Notre-Dame Basilica looks GORGEOUS. Looks like it's time to brush up on that high school French!

Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it!

Montreal
Level Contributor
871 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

just wanted to mention another option.

The 747 bus makes it's first stop at Lionel Groulx metro station which is a short walk to the Atwater market and part of the Lachine canal where you can rent bikes (maybe too early for the kayaking) and then also nearby is a nice section of Notre-Dame street with Burgundy Lion pub and well-regarded restaurant Joe Beef (maybe not for OP's timing).

I thought I'd offer this option for any one else reading who doesn't have the budget for taxis.

8. Re: 10 hour layover, suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, March 17, 2015