We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to new york

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
train to new york

Hi we are a family of four from australia hoping to travel on the train from new york to montreal, hire a car in canada and then train it back to new york.

Can anyone advise whether you can take large cases/bags on the train, on the website it says no checked baggage.

Dont want to buy tickets and then find we cant board with our bags

Thanks for your help

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to new york

You can carry on your bags. See this Amtrak link for info on carry-on:

http://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

There will be a place to stow your carry-on bags - above your seat or at the front of the car.

Edited: 8:56 am, March 12, 2014
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train to new york

And just a few comments: one is that although the train trip is beautiful, it is also verrrrry long -- 11 hours compared to the oh, 7 or so it normally takes by car. The stop at the border takes around 1.5 hours, for example, and then the train stops in a few towns on the way there. As well, although this is one of Amtrak's better routes, even then Amtrak is notoriously bad for the quality of its trains and its service -- my roommate recently took the train there and back and although the bathroom was working fine, there were still problems with the heating. Read this article: macleans.ca/general/…

As well, you probably won't need a car to visit Montréal -- it has an excellent transit system that goes everywhere you want to, or almost, and parking can be a pain sometimes.

So you may think of renting a car only if you're travelling outside of Montréal -- to Québec City, say. Or, perhaps rent a car for the whole time and skip the train. Or travel by bus, which is less pleasant but faster.

Or just make sure you have some good books and that your iPads are all fully charged -- although on my roommate's trip, the Wifi wasn't working :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to new york

phpr already answered your question about luggage, yes you can bring large luggage with you on the train. Same with the bus.

As a family of four i would recommend you take a car to NYC. Taking a car is the fastest mode of transportation (aside from a plane) and the road to NYC is fairly straightforward. It will also be more economical.

If you rent a car, get informed about the fees associated with dropping off the car in another country. So car companies do not permit it, some do but at a slight surcharge. Considering there are 4 of you this will still be cheaper than the train.

The bus is another option. Like tristou said, it is faster than the train but it can sometimes take longer at customs, when a person on the bus has a difficulty clearing through holding up all passengers...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: train to new york

Sylve you did not read the original message. The OP will be travelling from NY to Montreal and back so there would be no need for a one way international car rental. As well such rentals would cost around $2000. On another forum post someone wanted to rent one way from NYC to Montreal and was quoted between $1800 and $2600. Other companies require you to change cars at the first rental location across the border and thus pay two drop-off charges, one international, and one US, such as Montreal to Plattsburg, NY to NYC. Hertz charges $400 per day for international dropoffs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: train to new york

Andrew, you're right that the OP wasn't asking for a one-way car rental but I have to respond to your post because the one-way car rental situation isn't nearly as dire as you portray. For a random 48-hour period in June, I can get a one-way rental from Montreal airport to JFK airport in New York for $257, not $2000. www.expedia.ca/car-rental is a great way to search multiple car rental agencies at once and see the total price quickly. As for Hertz, the Montreal airport location didn't offer cross-border rentals on the dates I tried but the Toronto airport location will let you rent for 2 days and drop at JFK for a _total_ cost of $345 -- well under $400/day.

As for the OP, I wouldn't take the train both ways... maybe not even one. (The scenery is pleasant, but it's not jaw-dropping postcard scenery like found on western train trips through the Rockies.) Renting a car or flying are other options worth looking at.

6. Re: train to new york

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 18, 2015