We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fulham
Level Contributor
313 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

We Brits are joining a cruise in Montreal a the end of August. Friends have told us what a lovely city it is so we are planning to spend three nights (two days plus embarkation day) there.

We are odd travellers (I hate the word tourist) in that we don't like museums and churches/basilicas and get our fun seeing how the present generation live. There is a three day suggestion on the TA opening page for Montreal but it includes four museums and two churches. I don't have it open at the moment but I think it also included a sports stadium and, foregive my possible rudeness, that does not fill me with excitement.

People say Montreal is the Paris of Canada..

Could we have some suggestions as to how we'd fill two days walking around, please, seeing some interesting places and taking in some good food and liquor?

Kind regards,

Tony

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Take a walk on St-Denis Street between St-Joseph Blvd (Laurier Metro) all the way down to Ste Catherine St (Berri-UQAM metro). You'll see many bars, restaurants, boutiques, cafés, etc... (and people!... all kinds!)

You may also like Mont-Royal Avenue going East from St-Denis. (same stuff..)

You may also visit Carré St-Louis and rue Laval for our interpretation of Victorian architecture.

For more pricey food, Laurier Avenue, West of St-Laurent. Several good restaurants there.

This should take care of 1 day!

Edited: 6:47 am, January 21, 2014
2. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 7:11 am, January 21, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

For some local food: try Schwartz's for a Montreal Smoked meat; try Casse-Croute La Banquise for Poutine; try St-Viateur Bagel for some Montreal style bagels....

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Montreal is not the Paris of Canada, this is a myth propagated by anglophone tourists because we (mostly)speak French, although one hundred years ago, the majority of Montreal's population was English speaking. I would say that buenos aires would be a better candidate to fit the bill of Paris in America because of its architecture. While Montreal has a few Victorian neighborhoods like westmount, its downtown looks like many usa cities, but generally safer and more vibrant. I would say the people here are different, and this makes the city different. Montreal is known in French as la Ville aux cent clochers. Since you don't like churches and the European features of Montreal presumably will appeal less to you than someone from the USA, I hope that you will not be disappointed by your visit!

Fulham
Level Contributor
313 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Platipus,

Thanks for that. In fact we have been to BA and did not think that it felt much like Paris either. But so be it. We spend a portion of our life avoiding suggestion like 'go to the highlands of Argentina it is just like the Lake District in England'. Why when we have the real thing two hundred miles away?

Likewise we have museums in London - so why travel ten thousand miles to see more?

No. What we like is to do wander around an environment that is not like Kensington, Chelsea or Piccadilly.

Markets that are not like Petticoat Lane or Portobello Road.

Early days as you lot are only just seeing daylight. Here it is time for lunch. I am sure the ideas will flow in

EDIT. Oh dear his mesage has already gone. Makes this seem a bit naff.......

Tony

Edited: 7:13 am, January 21, 2014
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

I would think your best bet is to explore some of the diverse neighbourhoods of Montreal. I'm not an expert on this so perhaps the Montreal folks can point you in the right direction.

In Toronto we have Little Italy, Chinatown, Greektown etc....I'm sure Montreal has more of the same but as I said, people who really know Montreal well can direct you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Montreal and Quebec province is French speaking officially. Quebec City looks like a French old city, while Montreal is a mix of American and European/French.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Quebec City doesn't look like. French old city - not even sure what this means. The walled portion of Quebec City, often called the old town and a small part of Quebec City proper, is the closest thing to a northern France town, although Quebec City does have number of Victorian era buildings. Montreal also has an old town, but has a greater mix of buildings (including the first Canadian skyscraper) and arguably is less visually appealing to some because it is less homogeneous but more interesting architecturally. Montreal also has other interesting neighborhoods from an architectural standpoint, westmount being perhaps one of the finest example of a Victorian era neighborhood in North America.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

Are you bycicle riders?

If so a one day rental could be nice to get through the Plateau, Mile-End, Outremont and all the way to Jean-Talon Market.

Another ride would be to run around Lachine Canal, stop at Atwater Market.

Third possibility ride to Parc Jean-Drapeau.

Finally you could take the métro (subway) to go to the Olympic Statium area. No you don't need to visit the Stadium but there are many other attractions nearby (Espaces pour la Vie) including the Botanical Garden and no it is not Kew Gardens but something different altogether.

10. Re: Two days but no museums or churches please in late August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 25, 2015