We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

We will be spending christmas in Quebec City and wanted to do New Years Eve in Montreal. Was looking for advice if one city had more options than the other?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
767 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Montreal always has more options, it's much bigger....your choice in part will depend on what your interests are...

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

I'm having trouble finding things to do on New Year's Eve in Montreal. I like the idea of old historic part of the city but from the impression I've gotten in previous posts it might not be the ideal spot for New Years Eve. We love live music, great food, and like the idea of seeing the fireworks...something lively but intimate and romantic. We are a recently married couple in our late 30's. Currently have reservations at the Loews Vogue ( I think downtown) with reservations at Europea for dinner. We are not tied down to reservations but wanted to secure something while researching....

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

New Year in Quebec is not the same concept as in the USA. It mostly is a family dinner and get together. I never go out on New Year. There is no equivalent to the fireworks on time square. Our Christmas is your thanksgiving. Most people take time off between Xmas and New Year. It is the slowest time of the year and there are much less activities. In Quebec in particular, thanksgiving is a minor holiday, no more significant than Labor Day week end for francophones.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Did you try a Google search with "new year's eve montreal"?...I got so many options from the first link I looked at... …about.com/od/…new_years_eve.htm

Maybe if you check them.. you might find something that could interest you.

My preference would be for the New Years Eve Grand Bal for a very "Montréal" experience.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Several times in the past we've eatten dinner in Old Montreal then walked over to the fireowrks. I agree it isn't Times Square, which makes it more ennjoyable frankly, but it is a lively crowd with bands and activities and the fireworks are pretty good.

There are a number of fine restaurants in Old Montreal. We've eatten at Modavie where they have jazz upstairs during dinner. Most of the meals will be pre-fixed with a couple of options.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Well for NYE Québec City has concentrated all the activities on Grande Allée in the last few years. Last year they had Boy George as a DJ and he spinned outdoor for a while and then, after midnignt went inside in a club. Not really romantic and cosy if you want my opinion.

But if you want to go clubbing it has the advantage of having all the places in the same spot, well almost. In Montréal the clubs are more spread over the city, there is even an organized tour that actually provide a shuttle bus between different clubs.

But if you are not planning on clubbing and already have reservations at Europea I would keep them as this is an excellent restaurant and always offers some "surprise" food tid bits between the planned courses. I suppose that there will likely be even more of those for NYE. After your meal you might have the possibility of staying there to celebrate the arrival on NY but you could otherwise take a cab to go to Old Montréal and spend an hour or so there, depending on the weather and see the fireworks.

I would suggest that afterward you retreat to a bar to warm up and then take a cab back to the Vogue before 2 am. Why? First the métro (subway) service is very good but not so much so for Old Montréal and also it closes around 1h30 am and the bars close at 3 which means that a lot of people will be looking for cabs between 2 and 4 am. I did it once and really regretted not going home earlier.

In Old Montréal, surprisingly La Keg, part of a Canadian chain of steakhouses has a beautiful and cosy bar space with live jazz music. It would be ideal for you but you must contact them and see what can be arranged if you don't eat there earlier. And you don't really want to eat in a steakhouse in Montréal with all the great choices you have in NYC. Telephone number is : (514) 871-9093

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Thanks for all the helpful tidbits!

Phoenix, Arizona
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

Hi my boyfriend and I are trying to arrange something extremely similar to what you are looking for. Something romantic fun but not out of control. Let me know if you have any recommendations

9. Re: New Years Eve Montreal or Quebec City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 11, 2014