We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

My family is taking the cruise from Boston to Quebec City. The boat arrives on early morning on the 13th and we need to disembark on the 14th of Sept. So we have a full day and evening in QC. My question is how best to spend our time. I can catch a train around noon on the 14th and go to Montreal and spend the late afternoon in Montreal and all day on the 15th leaving around noon for my flight on the 16th. Or I could stay the night in QC and catch the 8 ish morning train to Montreal and spend the remaining day of the 15th and the morning of the 16th before leaving. Help.... a lot to see but only a little time. FYI our flight leaves Montreal.

Thanks for any help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

I'd spend an extra day in Montreal as there is much more to do....

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

That is what I was thinking. Do you know what train station that I take from QC (by the boat dock) and where to in Montreal (want to stay in old Montreal) Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

The station in Québec City is located pretty close to the Old City, it is called Gare du Palais.

In Montréal the station is called Central Station and located right in the middle of downtown, almost underground and linked with the underground city.

So for Montréal you can arrange for an hotel really close to the train and the closest is the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth while if you want to get a room in Old Montréal you could try Auberge du Vieux-Port. Check those properties and let us know yout thoughts so we can direct you the best hotel according to your specifications.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Thanks so much. Your information has been very helpful. I think the plan is to stay in old montreal. I have just started looking for hotels. There are a lot to choose from so very confusing. Not sure if you can get hotel to accommodate 4 people. We are looking for 2-3 rooms.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Try a suite at Le st James.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Thanks

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,646 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

if you are going to stay in Montreal and want to do the old city.. I'd recommend the SpringHill Suites by Marriott.. fabulous hotel.. The room we were in had 2 double beds and a pull out sofa.. big room.. and there were 5 of us.

it's right in Old Montreal and a great jumping off point to most anything.

However. While there are a ton of things to see in Montreal. We really enjoyed our day of the cruise in Quebec City.. Very European .. the Old town area is charming and the are surrounding it as well as Orleans Island are just beautiful. But we did enjoy wondering the streets in Old Montreal.. didn't see much else.. but enjoyed the 2 days we had there..

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Not sure i would qualify that Marriott by the word "fabulous". Location is noisier than others in old Montreal.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
49 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Thanks. I found a hotel Le Square Phillips Hotel & Suites that is suppose to be in Old Montreal and had great ratings. Also I decided to spend the 13th and 14th in QC and depart on the 5:45 pm train on the 14th giving me 2 days in QC arriving in Montreal at 9pm. This will give us a full day in Montreal and the next morning until 12 before we have to leave for the airport. If anyone has suggestion for a short tour on Monday morning before we leave for the airport let me know.

Edited: 1:18 pm, August 29, 2013
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Only 3 days between Quebec City and Montreal

Square philips hotel is not in old Montreal and I would be very much surprised that the hotel's web site would say this. Where did you read that the hotel is in Montreal ?