We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

days when restaurants are closed

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
days when restaurants are closed

Greetings, all. It seems in my poking around T/A (and other food sites) that a large number of restaurants are closed Mondays in Montreal. That is not unusual here in the US. But then that seemed to be followed closely by Tuesday which I was moderately surprised by.

Being that food (and drink) are major reasons for visiting Montreal I want to make sure I time our September visit correctly. Monday didn't surprise me having worked in food service for a spell. Was thinking maybe Sunday would be a mixed bag; hadn't considered Tuesday may be an issue.

Is it accurate that many (if not most) cafes/restaurants/bistro are closed Mondays? Or was that just an anomaly based on a few establishments I looked up. And what is the deal with Tuesdays?

Cheers

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: days when restaurants are closed

I would say it really depends on the restaurant; most cafés and larger restaurants or most in restaurant-heavy areas such as the Latin Quarter, the Village, Crescent, Prince Arthur, Duluth, etc. are open every day.

Smaller, independent chef-run places would normally close on Mondays -- everyone needs at least a day off. Some take two days, since Tuesdays aren't really busy either. Others, which depend more on businesses around perhaps, are closed on weekends or perhaps just Sunday or perhaps Sunday-Monday.

But no, you won't starve or have to eat peanut-butter sandwiches or at McDonald's :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
763 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: days when restaurants are closed

just smaller mom and pop places, probably some fish and chips places are closed on a sunday and monday type of deal....most small independents will have one day off earlier in the week, but still plenty to choose from

NC
Level Contributor
229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: days when restaurants are closed

gotcha. I know we won't go hungry. but have kind of a short list of places we want to hit; will just check em one by one. cheers

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,645 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: days when restaurants are closed

Just be careful that most high end restaurants are now closed for lunch or not open on Sunday/Monday.at all.

Other hig end that open for lunch will usually serve it only Monday to Friday or from Tuesday to Friday

5. Re: days when restaurants are closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 30, 2014