We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PTV @ Dorval?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
PTV @ Dorval?

I've read that PTVs are still in use at Dorval airport. If so, are there any more or less formal rules as to what flights / planes do they service? How to increase my chances / ascertain that I get to ride a PTV on my flight to or from Dorval?

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

What is a PTV?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,965 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

I am curious too.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_lounge

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,745 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

I got one the other day when I got back. (I personaly don't like the waste of time they generate! You have to wait for everyone to get off the aircraft before you can reach th gate.)

I'm not certain there is a rule to predict what flight "gets" one. However, my flight was a "charter" with Air Transat.

Edited: 3:14 pm, July 23, 2013
Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

Good to know they do still serve widebodies as well. Would you happen to know if "regular" airlines use them as well, or do they always dock at jetways?

Given that I can barely stomach a 2-hour continental flight, I wouldn't mind an extra 15 minutes to get the retro-futuristic vibe once I completed the transatlantic flight of 8 hours or more. Those PTVs are apparently a relic of Mirabel and a "plane-mate" evolution of the original Eero Saarinen concept for Washington Dulles:

http://vimeo.com/4139559

If I could combine a ride in those with arriving / departing on a KLM MD-11, I would have such a complete retrofuturistic experience!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,602 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

Given how this topic has unfolded, you might want to ask this question on the Air Travel Forum also. Some very experienced travellers there. Worth a try.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
10,965 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

UGH!!! They used those at the old Mirabel airport and I did not enjoy the extra trip to the terminal. I fly quite a bit and never encountered one at PET. Maybe they use them for charters that park away from the terminals.

Though I am doing the MD 11 thing later this year! All hail KLM.

8. Re: PTV @ Dorval?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, July 25, 2014