We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children in pubs?

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Children in pubs?

I am a frequent visitor to Montreal, but am confused about the liquor laws which are more liberal than the rest of the country. My family, including my 12 year old daughter dropped into McLeans on Peel in the evening, cannot be dead on with the time. We were refused entrance because of our daughter. What is the law and how do I know the difference between a pub like McLeans and a place like the Bell Centre's Cage de Sports(where we went to eat). Thanks.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children in pubs?

Well pub is not something with a straight definition under the law here, like brasserie can be (although a few places in Mtl call themselves brassseries but are not, i.e. they don't have a brasserie permit). Ok so once you put the name pub on your establishment you can either have a bar permit with food service possible or a restaurant permit with a liquor license that can either be full bar or liquors with meals only. So both of the latters will accept kids but a bar license with food service will not accept kids as the main activity is supposed to be the selling and consumption of alcoholic beverages. La Cage probably has a restaurant and full bar permit.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children in pubs?

Thanks for the response. Is it a time situation, on the east coast, kids have to be out by 8 pm. McLeans Facebook page

Makes references to kids welcome. Confused......can you give further info....plus how do I know...St Andre in the village,etc. appreciate your info.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Children in pubs?

Children are not allowed in bars and pubs, nor in music venues and such where liquor is served (so unlike the U.S., there is no system of bracelets to identify those underage and not). However, children with their parents or guardian are allowed on terraces until 8:00. And they are allowed in restaurants that have an alcohol permit although they are not allowed to drink. And they are allowed to attend private functions where alcohol is served -- say, a wedding or birthday party or whatever. They are also allowed to be in stadiums or theatres or sports centres or other places where alcohol is served but where the main attraction isn't the alcohol.

In private -- so at the home or technically even on picnics where here wine and beer are allowed -- there is no age limit for the consumption of alcohol, so many families here allow their teenagers to start drinking wine with dinner or beer while watching hockey before their 18th birthday. And anyone who has seen busloads of American teenagers here for spring break with no experience guzzle the stuff as though it were pop will probably approve of teaching kids to drink slowly and socially, rather than to get as drunk as possible.

In fact, in the U.S. there is an initiative from chancellors and presidents of colleges and universities to lower the drinking age -- http://www.theamethystinitiative.org/ -- saying that it doesn't keep kids from drinking, it just makes them drink differently: binge drinking offsite or surreptitiously in parking lots before going into a club, for example, since they can't order it once inside.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
777 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children in pubs?

Meanwhile there is an initiative to raise the drinking age in Ontario, stupid IMO: …yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/addiction-report-…

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Children in pubs?

I like this site that has a lot of info, if you dig, about why 21 isn't that hot an idea: http://www.chooseresponsibility.org/home/

And I just watched PBS's fascinating documentary on prohibition which showed how outlawing the stuff completely was a disaster. http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/prohibition/

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,560 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children in pubs?

Well alcoholic beverages consumption at picnics is not allowed but tolerated, part of our culture, not our laws. Only legal outdoor drinking, except terraces is at festivals and such outdoor events where the organizers gets a license.

If you want to know if one place that advertize itself as pub allows kids then just call the place in advance, they will tell you right away. If they are restaurants in disguize then your kids will be allowed while if it is really a place where the main activity is drinking beer or other alcohols then no way.

Without wanting to offend anybody my anthropologist side has noticed that binge drinking is more of an Anglo-Saxon custom than a Latin one. I have seen this happen to Brits, English Canadians, Americans, Aussies, etc. i.e. to get out partying with the purpose of getting dead drunk. Québécois, French, Italians, etc have more of a tendency of wanting to have fun, knowing that they will drink some but without setting the bar (pun intended) so high. The only redeeming virtue of binge drinking is that usually the non drinking driver policy works better. Here we still tend to understimate the amount we drink or have drivers that will not abstain totally from drinking.

Tristou with your mixed background you can give us your advice on that.

Alas I have also noticed that the younger générations of Québécois tends more to binge drink than older people. Blame it on mondialisation of culture, the Net, the shooter craze in bars, whatever but my young relatives get dead drunk easier than those of my age bracket were doing when younger.

But that brings us far away from pubs. Again there is no legal sense to this word like in Great Britain where it means something very specific with very specific hours and rules.

By the way are minors tolerated in real pubs in GB?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Children in pubs?

Hmm... you've mentioned this Anglo Saxon vs. Latin theory before, and I'm still not sold. In my travels I've witnessed incredibly drunk young Costa Ricans being pretty much as unruly as a group of young Glaswegians, for example. I also lived behind the Saint-Sulpice for years and can assure you that the French speakers were as equally loud and obnoxious as the occasional English group. But hey, if you want to think Latin-based cultures are more sophisticated in their drinking habits than Anglo Saxon ones, be my guest.

The binge drinking I was talking about is one of convenience: In the U.S. you can't buy a drink if you're under 21 and in many places, it is illegal for parents to serve alcohol to their teenagers even in their own home. So teenagers don't learn to drink slowly over the whole evening. Instead, they learn from others who gather at someone's place where an over-21 has stocked up and binge before going out, or drink up in the parking lot before heading into the club, for example.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,211 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Children in pubs?

I do not buy the drunk Anglo Saxon thing either. You know I come from the UK and I have lived in Quebec for over 20 years. I have seen binge drinking in all groups.

Though the American teen groups that come to Tremblant to ski are CRAZY when it comes to binge drinking. The buses stop at the metro and they pour out and buy tons of beer, then they are TRASHED in the bars at the mountain. They just have no idea how to be moderate and booze is really the forbidden fruit.

My own teens are allowed to enjoy the odd beer or glass of wine. My son, now in his twenties, doesn't drink at all and he has equal parts Anglo Saxon and Quebecoise in him.

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,456 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Children in pubs?

Yeah ... that Anglo Saxon theory is bunk I'm afraid.

And I'm sure the OP, who is from Halifax CANADA probably isn't all that interested in what American teenagers do, or whether children are tolerated in pubs in Great Britain (they are BTW). He just wants to know where he and his family can go for dinner or lunch and still have a drink.

10. Re: Children in pubs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 17, 2014