We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

Laval, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

I am travelling to Chicago at the end of this month for a conference and don't want to take a plane. If someone could offer advice on the best way to do this (bus, train, which companies, where to connect, etc.) I would be extremely grateful!

Whitehorse
Level Contributor
847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

By Greyhound Bus, it's 20 hours from Toronto to Chicago with 2 transfers. Add at least 5 h from Montreal...

Laval, Canada
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

Great, thanks!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

The bus between MTL and TO is actually more like 6 hours or even getting close to 7 depending on when you leave and if you hit traffic... The train is quicker at least to TO at 5 hours if you catch the express. In theory you could do the whole trip by train, but the schedule just isn't any good -- you'd end up waiting for hours and hours in Buffalo; you could perhaps take the train to Windsor and then the bus to Chicago, or even the train Detroit-Chicago if you made your way across the border yourself but that sounds like a headache. I think this is a case where you want to talk to a travel agent rather than trying to figure out all the combinations yourself :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

I just looked at the other train route -- Montreal - Albany, Abany - Chicago and you'd have only a 2h stopover in Albany; however it also means you'd be doing the entire trip on Amtrak which is significantly less pleasant than Via. The total trip time would be about 24h.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

Having lived in Windsor (yes I have lived in so many places...) I can tell you that there is a city bus going by the Windsor/Detroit tunnel downtown to downtown but it doesn't go to the train station in Windsor but might end up it's trip at the station in Detroit or nearby (and believe me nearby MUST mean 1 city block or less in that scary town). This bus is used a lot by Windsor citizens going to a hockey game in Detroit or just for people that want to party in the other town (strip clubs are hugely popular in Windsor). But if you are doing that on your own and must tell the custom agent that your final destination is Chicago you might have to wait for a few more bus passages before reboarding. As per cab from station to station it is very expensive as you must pay double the meter price since the cab cannot pick up somebody in the other country plus you must pay the toll for the tunnel. on both ways for the cab.

Well then Tristou's second suggestion by Albany might be better although Amtrak train from Mtl to Albany is far from great, the NYC to Chicago train on the other hand is one of the prestige line for Amtrak so that could be better.

Attending a conference in Chicago once for a company that had almost no travel budget I did the bus from Mtl to NYC and then bus from NYC to Chicago. I am pretty sure that the buses doing that line don't go all the way north to Albany and you will have to check if you can transfer there then.

Bus, even train my pieces of advice are: bring earplugs, eye mask and... sleeping pills!

6. Re: Travelling from Montréal to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, July 12, 2014