We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Markets and more

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Markets and more

Hi all,

We'll be in Mtl next month and we love markets, all kinds of markets? any suggestion?

Also, is there a day where I can find a "food trucks" round up?

Where can I find the best poutin? We are into fries!!

Thank you

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Markets and more

Three city markets, two that tourists usually visit are Jean-Talon (the biggest one) and Atwater (the downtown one).

http://www.streetfoodmtl.com/ for a roundup on most of the food trucks, but the site isn't that great in telling you where they are, you may have to look on twitter.

Nice way to try to start an argument on the best poutine. La Banquise, Pattati Pattata are two big favourites. Au Pied du Cochon's new truck has a small version of their Foie Gras poutine on the truck. And the Lac Brome store also has their own foie gras poutine as well. I'm sure we will have the usual poutine suggestion war after this. Important thing.. skip the major fast food chains, McDonald's and BK are NOT the place to do poutine.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Markets and more

Food trucks are still in infancy in Montréal. Untill last year they were forbiden on our streets but a few were located on private property, like some days around the Olympic Stadium. This year they are on a tryout basis and here's a recent link to find them: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/Food+truck+sites+summer+2013/8351247/story.html

Markets the two large ones are Jean-Talon and Atwater. Quite different in fact, not in downtown but easily reached by métro (subway)

French fries situation in Montréal is a bit strange since most people around likes browny greasy and soft fries and not the golden crispy ones and I am not talking about Mc Donald's in the latter category, just plain good (in my view) French fries. So La Banquise is like the common ground for the DEs around but they serve greasy brownish, limpy fries. The problem is even bigger when you throw sauce over them. May be some canned peas to add if you really want to go in the blue collar way.

Beside that Smoke's Poutinerie is a Toronto chain (gosh!) that has an outlet downtown near Concordia University and there is also Poutineville which is located at the border of the Village on Ontario Street.

If you want to splurge then you can have them with foie gras at Au Pied de Cochon, Anthony Bourdain's fav in the Plateau area. Great fries cooked in duck fat and home made sauce although just the regular is enough for me and I don't like the foie gras topping. Oh and I just search the APDC menu and you can have poutines without the foie gras but it will be an expensive evening anyways and réservations are hard to come by.

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Markets and more

Thank you rickb and TravelAdviceCA. Great info.

Any other markets that are not touristy?? Local food markets? even if it's not right in town.

Thanks again.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Markets and more

Although the markets are a very popular tourist destinattion, they are not tourist traps like Old Montréal can be they are real markets filled with real Montrealers buying their food, so don't discount them just because other tourists like them as well; weekdays have fewer tourists than weekends but also fewer locals. The Marché Maisonnneuve is off therourist radar compltely, but it is also not as interesting.

The oldest market is actually a fourth not mentioned yet: Lachine. But again, hardly the same experience as Jean-Talon or Atwater. And there is the smaller Marché Saint-Jacques by Ontario and Amherst which is struggling and not really a farmers market more a collection of stores where there once was a farmers market. And many métro stations have summer stands set up. And they have a small “market” -- well a trailer -- that moves around although I can't remember its name and I haven't seen it this year come to think of it...

Florida
Level Contributor
122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Markets and more

Thank u!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Markets and more

There is the market in HoMa, Marche Maisonneuve, which has very few tourists ever visit it.

http://www.marchespublics-mtl.com/

7. Re: Markets and more

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 29, 2014