We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newtown, Connecticut
5 posts
Save Topic
in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

I will be staying at an apartment in Old Quebec and am looking for 'hands on' cooking classes as well as what interesting areas (historic mainly) to walk around in. Any suggestions for authentic restaurants (not formal but friendly and casual) would be most welcome. I plan to cook for myself, as well, so what are your recommendations for good butcher shops, bakeries, fruit and vegetable markets as well as authentic ethnic food stores.

Thank you in advance!

Bob

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

What do you mean by authentic ethnic food stores????

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Also, you put "old Quebec", do you mean the old port in Montreal, or the Old Quebec???

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

The Gazette, our English daily newspaper here, did a special on cooking schools a while back -- see scribd.com/doc/106292048/Montreal-Gazette-Co… but you can also search this forum, although I think it's all covered in the newspaper article.

For grocery shopping: well, the Jean Talon and Atwater markets are the ones to hit for a huge selection of all sorts of stuff. I would suggest Jean-Talon becaue it's a bit bigger and a tiny bit closer to the métro entrance and you also have at Saint-Denis and Jean-Talon a few Chinese stores (with the one on the east side being a little nicer than the west), an African/Carribbean market, down on Beaubien and Saint-Valliers there's Sabor Latino for latino stuff, and over on Saint-Laurent you have the amazing Milano's for Italian deliciousness.

If you want to stick closer to your hotel, there's Chinatown with a few grocery stores, and then up a few blocks on Saint-Laurent there are a couple of tired Indian/Bangladesh grocery stores -- on on Saint-Laurent before Ontario, the other just east on Ontario, Medina, which also sells sweets yum yum. And right next door to them is a Halal butcher that is amazingly good -- of course, no pork :)

IF you want Eastern European meats and a few products, keep on heading up Saint-Laurent till past Roy and you'll hit a few butchers and the wonderful Vieille Europe deli.

There are quite a few other eths here in Montréal not mentioned -- the area around Guy Concordia has some East Asian and middle eastern shops, for example -- so if you want a particular ingredient, just let us know and we can help you find it :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

...in terms of regular grocery stores: there ain't much in Old Montréal either aside from a few dépanneurs (corner store) which do their best but are limited by space. The closest grocery store is the IGA in Complexe Desjardins, or if you're on the eastern edge, in Place Dupuis, but they're expensive.

In terms of restaurants: gosh, we get asked that question a LOT, and we're always happy to answer, but perhaps try searching here first. I recently gave a data dump of my favourite restaurants tripadvisor.ca/…50592183 but Montréal has an astonishing number of restaurants and so many of them very good, so give us more to go on and we'll be of more help...

Newtown, Connecticut
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Thank you for the great suggestions! As an update: I will be staying a week at an apartment in Montreal: address is 455 Saint Paul E. I will have my car to use appropriate...otherwise I will use local ground transport (metro, light rail, buses, etc,) or walk.

As far as 'ethnic' food stores: I mean middle eastern, eastern European, african, Korean and Thai.

I enjoy cooking myself, especially 'local' dishes, so any thoughts along thiose lines would be most welcome, as well.

Thank you!

Bob

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Well, Montréal has a HUGE lebanese community, so for that you're in luck, especially since you have a car, and all your shopping needs can be summed up in one word: Adonis, a big suburban-style supermarket that is just wonderful. There are a few around town, and a new one opening up downtown but not yet I believe, so the closest would probablyut on Sauvé (2001 Sauvé Ouest). And although you can get everything there, across the street is Amal Bohsali bakery for great Lebanese pastries, and since you're in the neighbourhood anyway, for delicious sandwiches and a great butcher and even a really nice cultural experience -- it feels like you've left Montréal and have teleported into Beirut - head over to Abu Élias a few blocks west of there.

For Korean and Thai: well, Asian is not so well represented here. Chinatown wll have many ingredients -- there are a few small supermarkets there, including one you will miss that is downstairs in the Swatow Plaza. For Korean specialty items, better to head to the Guy-Concordia area where there's a Korean/Japanese store at 2109 Sainte-Catherine Ouest just past Fort. Or, if you're up by Adonis anyway, stop by the huge Hawaïi on Boulevard Marcel-Laurin which has everything under the sun.

Alas, your choices for African goods are harder to find -- the small grocery store mentioned on Saint-Denis close to Jean-Talon, plus a restaurant a few doors down from there that also has some goods, and surfing turned up Marché Ghanacan at 549 Ogilvy. A tiny bit closer to Old Montréal but with just a few basics is Marché D&T on Ontario just east of Papineau which is a bizarre mixture representing the neighbourhood: white trash, asian, latino, and a tiny bit of african/caribbean. Not worth the trip, really, but I thought I should mention it anyway in case you needed some latino super-sweet soda pop :)

As for local dishes: gosh. Traditional Québec food is farmer food, and we have loooooong winters so think endless variations on meat and potatoes and turnips. There are indeed many specialties, and you can surf the web for recipes for Tourtière or Ragoût des boulettes or Pâté Chinois or Tarte au sucre, although there are a few recipe books with many more examples. The ingredients are very easy to find since they're so simple.

Edited: 3:06 pm, June 25, 2013
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Oops, forgot Eastern European. Well, the few places up on Saint-Laurent already mentioned, plus there's the Wawel Polish Bakery that has an amazing coriander bread and great doughnuts and a small selection of imported goods -- the original is on Ontario at Frontenac, but there's also one in the Jean-Talon market and a few others around. Otherwise, not a huge selection of original ingredients I'm afraid -- they were communist countries and the immigration here to Montréal, while significant, didn't bring as much of their food as other groups did. You can get some Hungarian wines at the SAQ, including a few Tokai whose prices will make your eyebrows raise if you know what they cost back in Hungary. Mind you, Hungarians consider themselves to be Central, not icky Eastern European, so perhaps this advice is misplaced :)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

Oh, and forgot: in the previous post I say Sabor Latino is on Beaubien; my bad -- it's Bélanger, so one block south of Jean-Talon.

9. Re: in Montreal June 29 - July 7, 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, June 27, 2014