We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Hello, we will stay at Auberge de Vieux in Old Town for 2 nights in early July as part of a 2 week trip to Quebec and Maine. We are with our 17 and 19 year old children.

Our plan is to arrive Saturday around check in and spend the evening walking around old town area and grab a bite to eat.

Sunday we will take a 4 hour Architectural bike tour with CaRoule and then walk around old town area before getting ready for our reservation at Garde Manger.

Monday we will shop around the St. Denis area, stopping at Schwartz and maybe Parc Lafontaine. After getting the car from the hotel, we will pick up bagels on our way to Mont Tremblant (around 3:00), and maybe drive up to the top of Mont-Royal (not a priority).

Some questions-

Are taxi's easy to get on main streets or do you have to call for them?

If you were to pick one museum to visit between Pointe a Calliere OR Musee de Civilisation (quebec city), which one would it be?

Any suggestions for a casual dinner in old town on saturday night that might not need a reservation. I would love to go to Olive and Gourmand, but they close at 6:00.

Thank you very much! I will post my Quebec City questions separately.

Fitz & Follwell Co.
Bike Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Gear Rentals
Spade & Palacio Non-Touristy Tours
Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours
'Round Table Tours
Bike Tours, Private Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

1. Cab yes, off the streets. Plenty in old Montreal or downtown. On other areas, you may need to wait 5 minutes to flag one depending on where you are. Or call diamond at 5142736331 it's the largest cab company.

I prefer pointe a calliere personally but it really depends what you are interested in. PAC is built on the spot where Montreal was founded. It is bigger than it looks from the outside and there is an underground tunnel that leads you to other buildings with exhibits/museum shop.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Casual and Old Montréal you might try Giorgo. I am not particularly found of it but it does the job. You will have to discover the entrance though as it is located in a complex of old buildings, entrance in the courtyard which can be accessed by Saint-Laurent Blvd.

If you want French / Britton crêpes you can also go to Chez Suzette on Saint-Paul Street

Well if I look at Old Montréal now I find that the face of the neighbourhood has changed and now there is a new crop of casual restaurants, some pizzerias have taken the place of more high end restaurants and Les Trois Brasseurs can be another choice, especially if you like beer.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

If you can catch Mont Royal around dusk and watch the city lights come to life, it's pretty cool!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Thank you all your suggestions. I agree, and think PAC looks better for us. We will swing by after our bike ride, if time permits. I have made note of the restaurants around the hotel and about trying to sneak a peak from Mont-Royal in the evening, maybe the first night.

Montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Pointe a Calliere is good for Montrealers since it shows the origins of the city (which you might find interesting)...but I really think your teenage sons and any non-Montrealer could be bored. However, there is the view from the top floor which affords great panoramic photos of the Old Port.

For an afternoon(3 hours), I would recommend very old and trendy Sherbrooke street that has fine old, haute couture shops, beautiful buildings and churches, sculptures and galleries and museums. It's not far from Old Montreal, just a quick taxi ride. For people not that interested in spending a whole lot of time walking around art galleries, not to be missed on Sherbrooke St. is the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts which is free unless you are there to see a special exhibit. You go straight down to the basement to the contemporary art department. I took my 19 year old, initially reluctant daughter to MOMA in NYC...and she LOVED it. She is still talking about it. Like at MOMA, the exhibits in this modern section of the museum are at least amusing and at best thought provoking. (Don't miss the killer monkeys!) You can take pictures in our museums...but not with a flash of course. Afterwards don't miss the museum shop; as in all museums, always a great place to get gifts.

About 3 blocks going west along Sherbrooke St, there are two side-by-side stores that are more like museums. One is a a showcase for the Inuit and Indian guilds; beautiful art work, sculptures and jewellery of the highest calibre. On the other side is a showroom for the blown glass guild with incredible artistic glass creations (some in the tens of thousands of dollars) shown to advantage on the bright window shelves. I take all my out of town guests to these two stores....not to buy, just to browse because they are like museums.

If cat mummies and a large dinosaur catch your fancy, to the east of the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (opposite direction to the guild shops) through the Roddick gates of McGill University (at McGill College Ave) you can take a pleasant walk through the grassy and treed university grounds and up on your left there is the Redpath museum where there is a huge dinosaur, a large collection filling a large hall of 'stones' in tabletop cases and the not to be missed cat mummies. $5 entrance fee. http://www.mcgill.ca/redpath/whatson

Afterwards walk back out the Roddick gates and down McGill College to see some interesting outdoor sculptures....and at the end of the street, Place Ville Marie which is the cross shaped building..as seen from above.

Enjoy your stay in Montreal!

Robin

Edited: 3:17 pm, June 23, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Thank you BR. The Sherbrooke area and McGill did look interesting to me. We will see if we can fit it in. Wish we had more time!

Montreal
Level Contributor
6 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

Hello again!

I'd like to tell you that last October I tagged along with my daughter on her 3 day business trip to Chicago. I was completely amazed at how beautiful your city is. The many, many parks with sculptures, well kept gardens and elaborate fountains were something I have never seen anywhere else. The planters everywhere throughout the city; lining streets, along medians, tucked into small spaces were lush, even extravagant and well cared for. The river meandering through the city with soaring skyscrapers on all sides took my breath away. It felt like such a wealthy city. I would go back in a heartbeat and I recommend Chicago as a tourist destination to anyone interested in visiting the US.

If you have the time, a visit to Quebec City (3 hours away by car) is well worth the detour. Quebec City will delight you as much as Chicago did me but for different reasons. It is a charming, old, European style city with an upper and lower town connected by a glass walled téléphérique (a kind of elevator on the mountain side). There are narrow, winding streets lined with quaint, little shops and sidewalk cafés. The atmosphere is really lovely. There's a huge open boardwalk next to the enormous Chateau Frontenac hotel (where you might like to stay) where you can stroll and take in views of the St Lawrence river. There is a real French flavour and charm.

Mont Tremblant is a country ski town, a 2 hour drive from Montreal, a little Disneylandish in that the building fronts are all of the same style, made to look like a charming, old village. It was all created not long ago by a developer. It's fine to visit but a little 'fake'. Instead i would visit Mont Tremblant Park about 15 minutes away by car where you can walk along paths in the woods and see beautiful waterfalls...and maybe even a bear!~ You can rent a canoe or kayaks for a few hours and paddle on pristine lakes. It's lovely and peaceful....but bring your bug spray. It's black fly season. To make the trip really memorable, why not take your teens white water rafting. tremblantactivities.com/o-rafting-white-wate…

Better than the above however, if you have only 2 days, it's worth the jaunt to Quebec City, a 3 hour drive, a real city with history and charm. quebecregion.com/en/…

Robin

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
916 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

BR, thank you for your kind comments about Chicago. I do love this city!

Though I did not post my whole itinerary, we do plan on 2 nights montreal, 4 nights in mont tremblant (biking, hiking, rafting, via ferreta), 3 nights in Quebec City and 4 nights in Bar Harbor Maine. I am trying hard to not over plan this trip (a tendency of mine), and looking forward to it.

At the risk of having cyber tomatoes thrown at me.....go hawks!

9. Re: Some random questions about our upcoming stay in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 26, 2014